• Register Today It's free!

rear axle questions

dr jazz

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I recently purchased a '95 Explorer XLT 4x4. The service manager at my local dealer said it had a 4.10 rear axle. The salesman came up with a copy of the original window sticker which says 3.55. There is a metal tag attached to the gear housing with the following:

S612B
55 88 4L29

Can somebody interpret this for me, please?

Thanks in advance.

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the axle code on your door jamb instead.

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to put the door code before. It is 45, which I see from several sources indicates a 3.55 open. I believe this is the more highway friendly option. My manual says 4x4 w/ 3.55 can tow up to 4,000 lbs. I do plan to tow, but only a small boat, so that should work.

I am still curious about the numbers on the tag. From a post I read by doing a search, perhaps the 55 stands for the 3.55 ratio and the 88 is for a Ford 8.8 axle? If that is true, what might the other codes mean? I have no reason to think the axle has been changed, but if it had I would like to know what it is.

Thanks again.

John

4L29 The tag says it is a 4.29. But there is no such thing as a 4.29 in a 8.8 axle. The "L" means there is a limit slip axle. I would try and check the front axle tag number and see what ratio it is. The frt axle housing has a sticker on it with the axle ratio. Frt ratio will always match the back.

I'm inclined to believe the door sticker indicating a 3.55 open axle. I have spoken to the previous owner, a local businessman I know, and the dealer where I bought it has done all the maintenance. There is very little that has been done to this truck, and I'm pretty sure the axle is original.

I couldn't find a tag on the front axle to compare. I am still curious about the other numbers on that rear tag. Does the 55 for 3.55 and the 88 for 8.8 axle? Any ideas on what the rest of it means?

Thanks,

John

You do have 3.55's.
Your missing a little on the tag. It should read:
S612B
3.55 88 4L29

The first set of numbers in the second row is the gear ratio. The 3. must be worn off or up under the bolt so that you cannot see it. Try looking closer and see if you find it.

Back