Rear differential ID help - tag gone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear differential ID help - tag gone

Druss_97EBX

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
The bolted on tag that IDs the differential type is gone. I already tried calling ford, but they do not have the information since its a 97. Any help identifying which rear diff i have would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Ed.
4.0L SOHC
Auto 4x4 ("auto - high - low" dial on the dash)
VIN # contains 'E' at 8th character

I have already replaced my front diff. If the type of diff in the front can give clues to the type in the rear, let me know and ill read the tag off the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would try a different dealership. they should have all the info if you give them the v.i.n. i think someone where you called was just to lazy to look up the info on it. there computers should go back to 1990.

The dealership did actually look it up via the VIN. and i need the differential code and not the gear ratio for the axle. From what i understand, there are multiple different differentials per gear ratio. Any other ideas?

There is either open or limited slip type differentials. If you get the code from your door sticker you will find out gear ratio and what type of diff it is.

Ford only used two different types differentials in the 8.8 open diffs and limited slips AKA Trac loc diff.

And if you do like i said in the previous post then it will tell you whether you have an open diff or the limited slip.

Got the door open and it is:
D2 Limited Slip 4.10

But i'd like to get the actual tag # for this for when i buy a used replacement. The tag # is what they ask for, unfortunately.

----------------------
Chub53: VUD42157

You already have all the info that the tag does. You don't need anymore info than what you have.

What is the purpose of this? Is the dealer telling you you need to replace your diffs? You stated you replaced your front already, why? & why the rear now? What the heck is going on that you would need to replace both diffs? Your running 4.10 gears, so unless your going to something other than that, I am at a loss here.

Something fishy with all this.

The tag is a slightly longer string of letters and numbers, just like the tag on the front one. For example: JN97802 Most of the time when you call about buying a used one they want this tag# to make sure you are getting the right part.

No dealer is telling me anything. i refuse to deal with dealers. I severely ####ed up my transfer case and front differential last winter in the snow. it has damaged the rear a bit and its getting worse. I'd like to get it replaced before winter this year in case i must rely on the 4wd.

If your T-case has been repaired or replaced, same with the front diff, and your driving the truck right now, using 4 wheel drive is not going to have any different effect on your rear diff.

If you search this forum, you will find out all you need to know, and understand what we are trying to tell you. A good mechanics shop will only need the information we have already given you. You found the info yourself from the door tag. This is plenty enough info for a mechanic to order any replacement parts inside your diff. If they say it is not, go somewhere else, they obviously dont know squat about Fords.

I know that using the 4wd isnt changing the way my rear diff is being used now. The fact is, i dont want the rear diff going out on me when i really need all 4 pulling. If i can do it now before its broke and I have really ****ty weather, then great!

It is purely a parts lookup requirement for the used auto parts business parts database. Not all used auto parts companies have mechanics answering their phones and taking the orders. All they know is whats on their screen. I'm doing all the legwork and buying my parts so my wrencher wont have to.

All I was hoping is that someone else here had the same diff as me and could tell me the tag#. Thats it. If not, no big deal, i'll try to find a parts place that doesn't need the #. I dont need to explain myself my actions, or give a history about my issues. Im not asking for advice or theories on what a problem is...etc. Gmanpaint, I realize you may just trying to be helpful, but it is beside the point. thanks!

When asking a forum for specific information, it helps if you give out the specific facts. Leaving out info, or only telling half the story is going to end up in questions like mine. Sorry if I came off wrong, not my intentions.

There is a large amount of combination's in the rear diffs in our Explorer's. Gears being the main variable. High or low pinion, open or closed carrier's. The door tag has the info code for your stock rear end. If for some reason you suspect it has been changed out, the only way to make sure what "Your" rear end has inside it is to remove the cover and inspect it for verification.

No one can tell you what you have 100% without looking inside it. Best way is to have it inspected, find out exactly what you have, find out what is damaged, then start getting the parts. Nobody likes getting the wrong parts. I understand your intentions, & reasoning now.

Remember we are just like you, and we need all the pertinent information to make a "Suggestion" for your inquiry. This is free help, we do it because we want to help, not because we have to.

Good luck!

Back