Rear Door Handles/Latches w/Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Door Handles/Latches w/Pictures

95ExpLim

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited
My '95 Limited's rear door interior handles stuck out rather than being flush with the housing.

Neither interior handle would open the door. Outside handles would.

After a trip to the junk yard for all the door latch operating hardware for both rear doors...and figuring out what had failed, I though I'd post some photos of the mechanisms both in the door and on the bench.

Unlike the front doors where pulling the inside handle will unlock and open the door, the rears must be unlocked first. This is the way my Exp works
-and I think this type of operation is what caused my handles to be broken.

Here's the hardware on the bench:

REARDOORMECHANISMLAYOUT.jpg

This photo shows what is left of a rivet, some people are able to punch the steel center pin out and break off the mushroomed part on the backside. I tried this method with 6 rivets and will take a drill if there is a next time. Working inside the door breaking the mushroom off leaves just a bit (as shown) and is a real PITA.

Outside handle------- 2 rivets
Inside handle----------2 phillips screws
Elect lock solenoid----1 rivet

Here's how it hooks up to the outside handle:
REARDOORHANDLERODATTACHPOINT.jpg

Here's how the latch is hooked up:
REARDOORHANDLERODRELEASECLIP.jpg

How the inside handle attaches to the operating rod and showing the part that breaks off letting the handle stick out. I've found the green clip on the rod with it's ring on either side of the plastic handle lever. I think it's shown as it should be.
REARDOORHANDLEHOWRODATTACH.jpg

Good handle vs bad handle:

REARDOORINSIDEHANDLEGOODANDBAD.jpg

Good outside handle spring:

REARDOORHANDLEGOODSPRING.jpg

Bad outside handle spring:

REARDOORHANDLEBROKENSPRING.jpg

Inside the door picture:

INSIDERRDOOR1.jpg

Inside the door (had to cut a hole):

INSIDERRDOOR2.jpg

Wow! Great pictorial! Will bookmark this one for future reference!

Child lock issues?

Would you recommend the same procedure to solve what appears to be a stuck child lock on the rear doors?

Wow great thread with pictures. Def have the same problem with one of my door handles on the interior rear doors not sitting flush. Def got some work to do ahead of me.

Back