Rear Driveshaft

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
This may sound a little stupid but how do I remove the rear drivehaft? I was thinking about changing the U-joints and lubing the slip yoke. How tough is this? Also, how many U-joints are there on the rear? Never messed with driveshafts before. Help please.

It's not hard at all. Just use a box end wrench (I forgot the size) and unscrew the 4 bolts that connect the driveshaft to the pinion flange on the axle. Then pull the driveshaft downward, and slide it out of the output shaft on the tranny. There is one U joint on the front (of the rear driveshaft), and one on the rear (of the rear driveshaft). It'll probably cost about 16 bucks for a good pair of spicers.

Ok this is getting tough real quick. I have to remove the bolts on the t-case side too. And they're impossible to get to because of the muffler, looks like i'm gonna have to remove it too.

Unless your '95 is different than my '97, you do not need to remove any bolts on the transfer case to get the rear drive shaft off. Only the four bolts on the differential flange. Once the four bolts are removed, you have to push the driveshaft into the transfer case a bit to get the rear of it to drop out of the differential. Once you are clear of the differential, you canthen slide it out of the transfer case. This is assuming you have the rubber boot clamps off the front of the rear differential.

Back