Rear End Sag!

Ganon

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2 Door with about 75,000 miles on it. I do some light towing with a small boat and haul some stuff around town and do lots of highway driving. I have a bad case of the dreaded rear end sag! I am guessing it is the leaf springs that are going. I looked and I have the mono leaf springs with it looks like spaces under them. What is the best solution to acheive proper ride height in the back and also have it maintain the correct height when towing or hauling loads in the back? Should I replace the leafsprings and also the shock with heavy duty ones? What are the favorite shock replacements and leaf springs? I have heard of people using junkyark 4 door springs are there any new aftermarket springs that I could buy that would fit? Looking for the cheapest but correct solution, no temporary or bandaid fixes! I was thinking about the Monroe Sensatrac shocks but need some spring recommendations. Anyone know a junkyark/ or supplier I can buy online for 4 door springs? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have exactly the same problem, 00 sport, ocasional towing. I want to ask what's better, to buy the 4door leaf, or installing an air helper spring?

because I thought I can lower more with blocks, and then fill the spring with air until it levels the height, wouldn't that get me a more comfortable ride than the stock? or can I use those same bags in the future if I want to 'bag it?

Thanks for the help. Anyone have any 4 door springs for sale? Also what is the best year or code number to buy? Are the "F" models the ones to get? I was looking at my mono springs and there are maybe 4 or so spacers under the mono springs. Do I use these with the 4 door springs? Thanks

if you install the 4door springs, you ditch the spacers, they're there to compensate for the missing leafs. and about the best part number, sorry, I can't help you there.

Code F's are basically what you're going to find off a newer 4-door X. I think the first gen's used code U. The stock monoleafs are L. The 4-door leafs just mount right in where the monoleafs are removed. First time I did the job it took a little over 2 hours, and that was with no air tools. Just make sure you tighten everything down real good before you go offroading. Mine was all torqued down, but we must have skipped that part when we did my friend's because after some offroading we had to go back redo one of the sides after it separated some and needed to be redone. No big deal, just 30 mins more of work.

Check car-parts.com, they list salvage yards in your area that'll have the leafs. I found a couple of places around me that had them, I paid $35 a piece for 2000 code F's and they work great. My friend has 2001 code F's, and we also both have Rancho RSX's. We did his shocks and springs at the same time which made the job real easy.

Thanks EBI!

Are the 4 door leafs 4 or 3 packs? I have seen some at car-parts.com that have AAL on them. Do you think this would be overkill for my 2000 sport to just level out the rear?

568218_20_full.jpg

Here's a picture of mine. Those are Code F's and worked great getting the rearend back up to where it should be. Stiffens up the ride real well too.

Is there any way to tell what is the right or left side spring? and does it matter when installing them? Also I found a pair of 99 4 door leafs...they junkyark guy said they were code F, but the numbers of the springs have an H in the serial number. Will these spings work? They are in almost new condition and look just like the F picture above. Thanks again!

I don't think it matters which side they go on. I think they are just generic. I could go out and check the serial number on mine, but I just checked the code on the door of the X they came off of to make sure they were F. Just need to make sure that you have the correct ends attached in the right spots.

Same problem with my 2000 sport. I want to get rid of the monosprings. Looking for a 4drs leafspring pack. Is this a hard job to do the swap??? Or am I better off getting this done by a pro??? (I'm NO pro) hehe Thanks

Roland

Back