Rear hatch swap, need to replace key lock, HOW?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch swap, need to replace key lock, HOW?!?

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
Back in December, I picked up a 2000 2wd Explorer with 105k for $2650 for my daughter to replace her aging 1990 Dodge Shadow. At the end of April, she was rear ended by a high school classmate and it pushed the bumper in and dented the hatch at the bottom of the door. I found a YZ paint code hatch (minus the rear glass) in Texas for $100 from a really nice guy who thru in the smashed driver's door so I could remove the white door hande to put on her passenger side front door.

I've removed the plastic trim and have undone the two rods and the nuts but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the cylinder assembly out. I've done a search (which I apparently SUCK at because I couldn't find anything and I KNOW this HAS to have been covered before.)

It's going to be 100 today with a 107 heat index and I still have to replace shocks and inspect the front end to see if it needs ball joints, bearings or whatever that's causing the front end shake, then new tires.

Please help, Thanks.

Larry

Okay, like and idiot, I figured out how to get it out, but now I find that the plastic housing that the cylinder is in is cracked. Apparently, the brass inserts that bolt the thing to the hatch also rivet the two halves together and only by spliting the halves, can you replace the key cylinder.

What's the concensus fix on this, epoxy? If so, what's the best stuff to use?

Back