Rear Sub Blown :eek: (cont.) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Sub Blown :eek: (cont.)

Kial

Reaction score
Heya Guys!,

The last post was getting too long so lets start another one. About my whole rear sub blown in my 91 explorer 4x4 4 door, Im getting 2 12"s in a bandpass box, and Im just going to disconnect the 6.5 stock sub. The 2 12" sub woofers I am getting are Rockford Fosgates (he said they were the older style that could hold 400 watts max per sub). I have a question about the amp I should get:
Which one! How many watts to power the 2 12"s. I dont want to blow them like I did my stock sub, just enough jusice to make them sound nice within the safety realm of them not blowing if I crank it up.

The other thing, I have a idea running around in my mind, more like a vision. I want to hallow out the rear sub box and plate the walls with mirrors. Then I want to put a couple blue neon lights in there and then slap a peice of plexiglass over the whole thing. Then run triggers to the door swithes, I think that would look nice. Am I crazy Dead Link Removed? How hard is this? I have a blue them in my white explorer and I thought this would look cool (then I could disconnect the light in the back, you know the annoying white one). I need some help on if this is doable, where I should look at getting it done, and what the price range is for this little commodity. Dead Link Removed Thank-x

You guys are coo

-Kial-
zeke180@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're already set on certain types of subs, then you need to find out the RMS watt values of each of the subs. Then find an amp that has about the same amount of RMS power. Do NOT base the decision on peak power of the amp or the subs!

You can help prevent ruining the subs by making sure your box is sealed really tightly. The other problem is that a bandpass box makes the scenario MOST likely that you may blow out a sub. The reason, because a bandpass does exactly that. It only lets certain sound frequencies through. Because of that, if you're playing your subs too hard, and something bad is happening to the subs, you'll never hear it. However, a bandpass will play much louder, and you won't have to buy a really powerful amp if you can't afford it. If you play it too loud, you might actually get port noise, and it sounds bad, because you actually hear the air wheezing through. It will be loud, but the bass is more rumbly, if you like that kind, but it's hard to get if you want the bass really crisp.

When you say you're going to hollow out the rear sub box, are you talking about the stock box, or the new one with the the bandpass? If you want blue lighting the easiest thing would just be to start by replacing the bulb in the rear area with a blue one if that's what you're trying to go for.

Neon lights vary depending on length, around 30-50 bucks. However, they have this really cool stuff that's like a glowing tape that bends anywhere. It looks really nice, but that's expensive, because you're buying the electircal luminous tape, and then the color wrap as well, but it does the job extremely well. Besides that, you're just buying a small relay triggered by the door lock (or even easier would be to tap it into the existing dome lights), a fuse, and wires.

Thanks Jtang,

Yeah I dont think the RMS is very high, that doesnt matter though cause anything will sound better then whats in there right now. How can I make the bass sound really crisp from a bandpass box? Or is that not possible. The only reason why I am getting this is because Im getting the box and subs for 150, which is cheap cause I have looked around and stero stuff gets very expensive. He said they are just regular punch speakers.

About that crazy light Idea I had, it would have been with the stock sub box located in the rear passenger side trunk. I think replacing the rear light with a blue bulb is a better idea, but this glowing tape stuff sounds so cool. I think it would be cool to wrap maybe the box in it, or the rear edges of the seats, where do I get this stuff and how much does it run, and Is wiring it hard? THanks again Jtang.

Kial

I don't know if you have a Fry's Electronics around you, since you're in California, but that's the last place I know they sold that light up tape. It's pretty much show car stuff, and so it didn't really catch on too well. However, I have seen it work, and it's really cool. The guy who had it said it was really easy to install and wire up. I don't remember what it's called, but I'll try and look for it again.

Bandpass boxes don't play super crisp bass, but then especially with bandpass boxes, the design and craftsmanship is really important. Since you're in California, if you have an Al and Ed's Autosound, check in the papers every once in a while. In the sport section of the LA Times, for example, they run large ads every once in a while. Often, they're selling those same RF punches in a sealed box. Usually I would say not to go to Al and Ed's, but sometimes they have a good deal on speakers loaded in boxes. Also, if you know someone with a AAA card, Al and Ed's is supposed to give you a discount of up to like 14%.

No problem, Kial!

Jon

Just to give you an idea on the light thing, first J.C Whitney has the light tape, its pricey for a small section.

My blue explorer emits a nice blue glow, without being bright and annoying to drive around with at night.
Simply done by going to Radio Shack and buying four blue 12v "project lamps" @ $1.99 for a 2 pack . I put 2 under the dash on each side, and 2 under the seats closer to the rear. In these locations I just wire tied them up out of site.
They produce a nice soft glow under the dash and onto the floor. simply wire into the fusebox.
I am considering adding 2 more to the rear compartment, in the plastic moulding above the hatch area, just drill a 1/2 in. hole and they are made to mount flush and just slip in the hole, these things are small and look cool.

------------------

91 Sport
"Drive it like ya stold it"

Back