Recommendations of plugs and wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations of plugs and wires

pcfixer

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Gen 1 Sport Tracs ('01-'05) were the 4.0L SOHC Cologne motor, VIN code K.

Buy Motorcraft plugs & Wires.........

All Gen 1 Sport Tracs ('01-'05) were the 4.0L SOHC Cologne motor, VIN code K.

Buy Motorcraft plugs & Wires.........

Thank you for the info in the VIN. I also found info on whole truck
on pronto. gives complete info.
www.pronto-net.com

Why the recommendation on motorcraft parts?
I've read about DENSO plugs and wires.. they sound like a better product. BUT...JMHO...

Search around here for posts on plugs............

Yep, most the posts I see about spark plugs recommend staying with Motorcraft. And that is always what I have bought for both of my Explorers.

Yep, most the posts I see about spark plugs recommend staying with Motorcraft. And that is always what I have bought for both of my Explorers.

OHHH!! The dreaded spark plug debate! I use E3's in my 97 Ex with the 5.0. I have had only good things to say about the E3's. Runs smooth, better mileage, and a little bit better acceleration. When I went to the parts store, they were only $.50 more per plug, with a 100,000 mile warranty. So, I thought I would try them and love them.

just to stir something...

hadn't seen that thread about motorcraft parts
When I changed plugs and wires, and read a bit on how much of a pain it is to do plugs.
Ended up buying NGK iridium just for the long life expectancy, and some shietty house brand wires. All is well.

OHHH!! The dreaded spark plug debate! I use E3's in my 97 Ex with the 5.0. I have had only good things to say about the E3's. Runs smooth, better mileage, and a little bit better acceleration. When I went to the parts store, they were only $.50 more per plug, with a 100,000 mile warranty. So, I thought I would try them and love them.
Seriously, you need a warranty on spark plugs??? :rolleyes:
Wouldn't that be like getting a warranty on brake pads?

Another plug and wire thread... :)

Simple: Nobody ever started a post with "Has anyone else ever had problems with Motorcraft XXXXX going bad in 10,000 miles?"

They routinely last 100k+ miles on stock trucks, and perform admirably. No reason that they wouldn't do a stellar job again...

These guys don't offer warranties on brake pads:

Callahan_Auto_Parts.gif

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Now I have to include this because it's hilarious... :D

Seriously, you need a warranty on spark plugs??? :rolleyes:

I would have taken a warranty on my wife if offered!! I try to get a warranty on everything I buy! Why wouldn't you?

Wow...Didn't mean to open a can of worms...so to speak.
Yep bought the motorcraft wires last night. Didn't have the
plugs for the truck and yes E3's ...said to be better for a few cents more
either way have to wait till Sat to get plugs... just sayin they don't stock all plugs anymore....... so many to choose from...:rolleyes:

I bought the plugs and wires. Paid $90.00
Wow..Labor to install was 2 1/2 hours... $225.00
Its done. and runs real well.

I bought the plugs and wires. Paid $90.00
Wow..Labor to install was 2 1/2 hours... $225.00
Its done. and runs real well.

What plugs did you go with?? E3's? Motorcraft? Just curious.

I went with the E3's. the mechanics didn't like them.. said E3's
could cause problems and short out to ground...
I had E3's installed base on what I read on E3 website.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/testimonial.htm
granted none where Fords.... thought I'd give them a try...:usa:

The only problem I am having is with the Ford Spark plug wire. It will sometimes pop off my #7 after a long drive and cause a miss. Wait for it to cool, push it back on and it runs fine for 1-2 weeks. Usually pops off when I shut it off then come back, start it up and MISS! I am going to replace it soon. Its the only one I have issues with. BUT! It did it with the Motorcraft plugs too!!

Back