• Register Today It's free!

Remote Entry FOB stopped working

BryanM42

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
My remote was working perfectly fine earlier today. Then I went and purchased a second programmed ignition key. I'm sure this was just a coincidence, but after leaving with the new ignition key, the remote does not work any longer. The car does go into "programming mode" after the 8 turns of the key, the locks cycle, but pressing any button on the remote does nothing at all. Can anyone help me figure this out? I've also tried a 2nd fob which has the same results. I would think that if it was an antenna issue, the remote wouldn't have been working flawlessly for years and suddenly develop a problem within that 15 minutes while having the new ignition key cut and programmed.

My remote was working perfectly fine earlier today. Then I went and purchased a second programmed ignition key. I'm sure this was just a coincidence, but after leaving with the new ignition key, the remote does not work any longer. The car does go into "programming mode" after the 8 turns of the key, the locks cycle, but pressing any button on the remote does nothing at all. Can anyone help me figure this out? I've also tried a 2nd fob which has the same results. I would think that if it was an antenna issue, the remote wouldn't have been working flawlessly for years and suddenly develop a problem within that 15 minutes while having the new ignition key cut and programmed.
im quite sure pats does not overwrite, and tou can store many keys on it (i belive 6? i forgot) let me check

hold on, was this the only key? or did you used to have two. iirc now that i jog me memory, you have to have 2 keys to program a new one. i think? ihttps://www.motorcraftservice.com/pdf/pats_job_aid.pdf
There was only one key and one remote. The remote that I had been using for the past couple of years just fine was programmed by me without a second key. On the '02, you only need 1 and that's used to turn the ignition 8 times to get it into programming mode.

Also, the fobs must all be programmed during one programming session. and they are overwritten. So I'm sure that what happened was the guy that was making the ignition key tried to reprogram the remote with the new key which erased the fob from the current memory then he couldn't get it to accept it again.

Back