Remove the spring locks for the fuel filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove the spring locks for the fuel filter

fissionbait

Reaction score
City, State
N America
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ohv
Remove the spring locks for the fuel filter without the coupling tools?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I found a plastic pipe that fits under the spring capsule would that work? Last time I went to change it, I didnt know you needed a special tool so I just ended up taking the V clamp off the inlet and prayed gas all over my shirt and in my eye, even after relieving fuel pressure.

Heres some things people have claimed worked for them...
Cut up a pop can
Zip tie
Cutting the tip of the right sized funnel off.

If you want my opinion just cut both adapters off and run rubber fuel hose on both sides of the filter with clamps. Much easier to replace it next time.

Heres some things people have claimed worked for them...
Cut up a pop can
Zip tie
Cutting the tip of the right sized funnel off.

If you want my opinion just cut both adapters off and run rubber fuel hose on both sides of the filter with clamps. Much easier to replace it next time.

this is exactly what i did with mine, whoever owned the explorer before me screwed up the lock collar. after i cut the old filter off i saw all sorts of bad things done to the disconnect clip. now im just running fuel hose to the filter on both sides with clamps

I just replaced mine today, I bought the fuel line remover tool from Pepboys which was about 8 dollars. I had a little trouble getting one of the lines off but it finally came loose. I suggest that you remove the fuel pump relay switch and start the truck up so that you can relieve some of the pressure in the lines as well as you remove the gas cap.

I got lucky and found a piece of tubing that worked pretty good. I managed to drain the inlet connection into a container this time. The spring lock was a piece of work still so I didnt have the bucket near by and sspilled some gas lol. I was so happy to get the new one on, the stuff that drained out of the old one was like brown sludge. So I burned it. Went for like 15 minutes too:popcorn:

Glad its replaced. Did it look pretty bad or no?

Here I got a pic, not sure what colour they are brand new lol
P1020726.jpg

Yup, thats dirty. Id say 100,000 miles on it?

Couldnt say..I put about 10k on it sinse I bought it who knows lol Sure was fun lightring it on fire

Couldnt say..I put about 10k on it sinse I bought it who knows lol Sure was fun lightring it on fire

I bet. :)

Im going to have to remember to do that next time.

Back