removing factory pinstripe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing factory pinstripe

hey everyone, this is my first post in this section

I'm in the process of trying to repair the paint on my 2000 mountaineer, It has a stock (or what I believe to be stock) gold pinstripe going down both sides. Now I wouldn't mind leaving it on IF it was in better shape, but it's got small sections that are tore up and/or missing in a few places and it just overall looks crappy.

Im wondering what is the easiest (non paint marring) way to get this off without damaging or scratching. I can tell its a decal but it's really on there, and it doesn't seem to want to come off for me.

any one done this before or can help me out?

much appreciated

I'll put a pic on here just to give u guys an idea, it's not a good one but you can see where the gold stripe is

(el clicko the thumbnailo)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try a heat gun if you have access to one and use a plastic razor blade to prevent you from burning your fingers. The blades can be found a Napa for about 3 bucks. Also, If the paint on your truck is oxidized it will have to be buffed after taking the stripe off because the paint under the stripe wasn't exposed to the elements( Sun, wind, rain, ect) like the rest of the truck.

Thats my 2 cents.

take it to a body shop and have them you the magic eraser on it(not by mr clean) maybe itll cost you $20. thats how i removed one

Me and a buddy used a hair dryer and a plastic scraper to remove a hideous pink/blue stripe from his old ranger back in the day. It was a pain but it worked, slowly. I would say use a heat gun if you have one.

I've removed pin stripes from 2 different 2nd gen Explorers. The only thing I used was my fingernail and a hair dryer. Go slow and each segment will come off in one piece. Try to go fast and you'll get 2-3" pieces at a time... very time consuming. Going slow will actually allow you to finish faster. It shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes per side.

I know this is an old thread but just sticking this in here for future reference.

I just went out to remove my pin stripe. Took a few pics. Tools used: Plastic credit type card (don't use your real credit card because it will get messed up!), hair dryer.

Grab yourself a beer or 10 because it's tedious and a PITA! The worst part is that the decal is old and brittle so it breaks if you try to peel it off to fast. Get off as much adhesive as you can with the card also.

I did one side it took me roughly 2 hours. After you remove the decal and as much adhesive as you can you are probably going to want to use some rubbing compound to remove any scuffs left by the card and then wax after completely finished. (I have not washed / rub compound / waxed it yet but I do not see that there will be any difference in the paint after.)

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

Are u gonna put a different pinstripe on it or just didnt want one anymore?I plan on removing mine and putting a red one

mines came with the white pinstripe i didn't like em soo i removed them myself a few day days after i got my x surprisingly they came off really easy took me less than 10 min here what it looks like today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

at school we have a eraser wheel and it took me about 20 30 mins out in the cold to do it. washed and waxed it and couldnt really tell it was there. i kept my eddie bauer on my doors

i also did my pinstripe removal. it makes the car look way newer. all you got to do is use a razor blade or pocketknife like i did. and carefully scrape the end of the pinstripe and peel it. very simple task. takes about ten minutes on the car. then you can clean off the sticky stuff afterwards with acetone. have fun.

hey guys,

i have a 1998 ford explorer eddie bauer and last year i did the trick with the hairdryer and scraper to remove the pinstripe it worked great. i was not able to get this decal like piece on the back door side skirts off on each side. its really ugly because of all the dirt that has gotten behind it and i was wondering how i could remove it? it almost looks like it is cracked somewhat.

Back