repair or replace ins cluster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

repair or replace ins cluster?

lakelanier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
On my 1996 Explorer the speedo works fine but the odometer has stopped working. Assuming its the worm gear, that seems to fail, would it be easier to repair this or just replace the whole cluster? I found a cluster on ebay with close to the same mileage for $40. I have had the cluster out before to change a couple of bulbs but know nothing about the difficulty of removing and hooking the speedo cable back up. Thanks in advance:usa:

I answered my own question, :). Today I got the cluster and speedo/odometer out and it is a bad worm gear. A replacement on ebay is $11. New question: I would like to add mileage to it so it reflects the correct mileage of the explorer. Any one know how?

I answered my own question, :). Today I got the cluster and speedo/odometer out and it is a bad worm gear. A replacement on ebay is $11. New question: I would like to add mileage to it so it reflects the correct mileage of the explorer. Any one know how?

if you're worried about selling it with incorrect mileage showing, i wouldn't be. if you just tell the perspective buyer what the true mileage is i think they'd believe you. after all, it's a '96. at that age the fact the it runs and drives is more important than what the odometer shows.

if you're worried about selling it with incorrect mileage showing, i wouldn't be. if you just tell the perspective buyer what the true mileage is i think they'd believe you. after all, it's a '96. at that age the fact the it runs and drives is more important than what the odometer shows.

Yes, that was my concern. It is stopped at 196,000 and something. I still plan on replacing the worm gear so the odometer will be working. Trying to sell it with as much as possible in working condition. I know of a couple of speedo/odometer repair shops around Atlanta so I will see if they can for a small fee:dunno:

Back