• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the cam chain tensioner

CaptKirk

Reaction score
City, State
Bay, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I had the 00M12 done a while ago and the chain is just starting to rattle on cold start up. Now the idle seems fine. So, I was wondering how hard it would be to replace just the tensioners and not the intake gaskets. Or, do you have to pull that all apart to get to them. Or, can you just replace the tensioners from outside the front of the engine?
I am way out of warrentee and don't want to spend the cash for the dealer to do it, if I could take care of it on my own.
Thanks for any help on this,
Kirk

Search through the other threads about this. The front tensioner sin't very hard, or expensive. The upper intake is in the way of the front tensioner.

The rear tensioner goes in the side of the right head, at the top corner. I don't know if there is enough room to R&R that. The tensioner is several inches long.

I hope that the tensioners will help you. Keep a close eye on your oil coming from the pan. The other issue is with the cam cassettes, the plastic which the chains ride along. The plastic is prone to coming apart, that loosens the chain, etc. Good luck,

Back