Resetting the computer.

DonM

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ocean View, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I just got some advice from a fellow fishermen when resetting the computer. Ive done work on my X in the past and by advice here, you should always take the Negitive battery cable off for 10 min to reset the computer!

I posted on my recent problems in dif boards here as some of you may have read?!

The advice i was given was to take the Positve battery cable off for ten min or so, this is how this person reset's his computer. He all so said to put the key in ignition and turn it on and off a few times before connecting positive cable.

Ive never heard this before.

Does this trick really reset are computers?

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup. Just gotta make sure when you restart that you allow the truck to run for at least 5 minutes at idle so that it can refigure out how to run.

You dont really need to turn the key or anything. Just remove the negative cable for 10 minutes or more.

That method works, but the problem is the PCM must relearn all the operating specs. The correct way is to clear the codes via code reader/scanner.

I just disconnect the negative cable and leave it for 15 minutes. Don't know about he positive cable and the ignition thing.

computer reset

I think that I read somewhere that this computer reset should be done after I installed a k&n filter. With the air flow being greater, does this affect anything if the computer is not re-set? folks said I should notice more hp and I did, and better fuel economy which I didn't. will this correct it self if I re set the computer? thanks for all the info on my last post. I can see I am going to enjoy this sight!

"strong like ox, smart like tractor":redexp:

The computer is "learning" computer. It optimizes itself based on the data it gets from sensors. To get the full benefit of any mod you need to reset the computer so it can re-learn and re-map program. If you don't reset the computer it won't hurt anything, you just won't reap the benefits of the filter. It also won't hurt anythng to reset the computer.

A general rule is to reset after any mod.

Back