Reverse Sensing System (RSS) & Towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse Sensing System (RSS) & Towing

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4.6
Can the Reverse Sensing System (RSS) be shut off so it does not come and have to be disable each time reverse is selected/needed while towing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this work?

Instructions:
1. Start the Ford vehicle, and put it in reverse. The backup alarm will begin to sound.

2. Press the "Select/Reset" stem on the center dash controls. Hold it down for a couple of seconds, then release it.

3. Wait four seconds for the "Select/Reset" menu to return to the main screen. The Ford backup alarm is now disabled.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7741084_silence-ford-backup-alarm.html

Will it return to normal once the Explorer is shut off and restarted or is it disabled for ever? I like the RSS except when towing.

Mine had a push button switch just to the left of the steering column, below the gauges.

Mine had a push button switch just to the left of the steering column, below the gauges.

Yes I know the switch is there, but when manuvering trailers it would be nice for it to stay off until the trailer is unhooked.

Once I press mine it stays off until I restart the truck.

Once I press mine it stays off until I restart the truck.

Oh.

On my 2003 the switch shuts it off as long as you're in reverse, but once I shift into drive it resets and I have disable again it when i shift into reverse.

Ford should just have a tow/haul button. GM disables the back up sensors while in tow/haul.

Back