• Register Today It's free!

Right Rear Buffeting Noise?

914pete

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I have a 2014 XLT, 102,400 miles. Just this week I started noticing a strange buffeting noise which seems to be coming from the drivers side rear wheel. Its noticeable at any speed but loudest at 65-70MPH. Push it to 80MPH and although still noticeable, it gets quieter. I have relatively new tires which were due a rotation, so I rotated them this week thinking maybe that tire/wheel was out of balance but still getting the buffeting. No change. Sounds very similar to the buffeting you get having a rear window open only. The car only gets highway miles and driven very easy. I pulled that wheel again last night and inspected the suspension and didn't see anything out of order. The brakes were changed last fall. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel bearing?

With only 102,400 miles? That would be disappointing. Wonder how to test while still on the car.

There are several threads/posts regarding 2015 Explorers having to have a wheel bearing replaced with less than half your mileage. Replaced rear wheel bearing, 2015 XLT w/ 21K miles
I suppose you could try putting the vehicle on a lift and then spin the tire and see if you hear any noise. Not sure if that will work though.

Peter

If you don't here anything while spinning the wheel, hold on to the shock/spring with the other hand and you sometimes can feel it if the bearing is bad.

Wheel bearing. Not abnormal for a Ford st that mileage

Back