Rim width | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rim width

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 265/70/16´s on stock RIMS as well on a 1998 XLT. I believe that the stock rim is 7 (correct me if im wrong).

Anyways. I don´t see you should have any issues going with this combination.

/Ole

Most stock rims were 7in, the wider ones will fit as long as you have proper back spacing that allows them to stick out further away from the hub so your not rubbing on the upper control arm.

Why are you going with that wide of a rim for that tire its going to look like it is being stretched out with the wheels like that, normally for a 265 a 7in wide rim is preferred.

i would believe that the 1,5 inches in difference wouldnt make the tire " look stretched".. If anything - i think my 265´s look like they could benefit a bit from a wider rim.. ?

Anyone running this combo? I wanna see it now.. Got me thinking.. : /

well right now my stock xploder has 235 on 7inch rim, and it looks really bulgy. Maybe becayse the profile is big? (75profile)

Most stock rims were 7in, the wider ones will fit as long as you have proper back spacing that allows them to stick out further away from the hub so your not rubbing on the upper control arm.

Why are you going with that wide of a rim for that tire its going to look like it is being stretched out with the wheels like that, normally for a 265 a 7in wide rim is preferred.

The wheels I like just happen to be 16x8.5 so I was wondering if it could be done. If not I'll look into something different. From the answers it seems like they would be ok as long as the backspacing gives enough room

Most (major!) tire manufacturers will list a rim range for their tires. For example, I run Firestone Destination A/T (265/70R17) and Firestone lists approved rims as 7.0-8.5 ( http://www.firestonetire.com/tireselector/SizeSpecs_FS_EN.aspx?Product_ID=1099).

Thanks!!!! I looked it up, now just to be sure can someone confirm it for me, mine are the very first ones listed (265/70/16), it says 7-9inches right????

http://www.nittotire.com/functions/tire_popup.asp?tire=terragrappler

Most (major!) tire manufacturers will list a rim range for their tires. For example, I run Firestone Destination A/T (265/70R17) and Firestone lists approved rims as 7.0-8.5

I think this answer speaks for itself...You just go ahead. Im sure you´ll be satisfied with the looks of it.. ; ) Just make sure the offset on the rim is ok. All i can contribute about the offset is that -50mm on stock suspension (no TT either) This is too much.. Im sure someone can give you a more precise advice. But i just happen to know this by personal experience ... : /

Ole

Back