Roof Weight Limit

rayg75

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hartselle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 FPIU
I have a 2014 PIU. I know the book says the roof rack can hold something like 100lbs. Is that a limit of the roof rack or the body of the vehicle? I have no problem replacing the entire rack with something stronger if the vehicle can handle it. Has anyone done this, if so what type of weight can you hold?

I have a 2014 PIU. I know the book says the roof rack can hold something like 100lbs. Is that a limit of the roof rack or the body of the vehicle? I have no problem replacing the entire rack with something stronger if the vehicle can handle it. Has anyone done this, if so what type of weight can you hold?
The weight limit is set for vehicle stability and has nothing to do with the ability of the roof rack/crossbars to hold any additional weight.
Explorers with a moonroof, I believe, are limited to 45 lbs due to the extra weight of the moonroof itself.

Peter

The weight limit is set for vehicle stability and has nothing to do with the ability of the roof rack/crossbars to hold any additional weight.
Explorers with a moonroof, I believe, are limited to 45 lbs due to the extra weight of the moonroof itself.

Peter
Thanks.

Back