Self levelling rear suspension checks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Self levelling rear suspension checks

kands

Reaction score
City, State
Kettering UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Hi all
Since collecting our new (to us) Ex we have not heard the rear suspension pump run, we heard the pump on the old Ex whenever we got out of it, so my question is, how can I check if the system is working? I have checked that the switch is to on in the rear panel and I have sat on the rear bumper for a while. I have also had a look underneath and felt the semsor, which seems to have no movement in it. Am I looking in the right direction here or is there some other check I can make before pulling the switch off the back end?
Many thanks in anticipation

Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply Howard.
Well the story is as follows:
I clambered underneath and squirted WD40 all over the swtch and arm assembly and went for a short run out.
Then I pulled out the fuse and checked it, it was OK.....
Then I climbed into the back so that I could operate the switch and see the dash light.... It came on when I switched the light off, and went out when I switched the switch back on, so I climbed back out and shut the tailgate.....
AND then I heard the pump run and the back end went up a bit :D :D :D
Sorted............

Thanks again mate

Keith

The other way of testing it is to disconnect the sensor arm from the rear axle and push it up. The Suspension should think that the rear of the car is lowered due to weight in the boot, now the pump should run.

also it is possible for the pump to be faulty and the light not to indicate it on the dash, the fault light only comes on when the suspension is low and not lifted so, if the car is already high enough then there is no fault recorded.
(get what i mean)

Good resolution. FYI, anyone with the ARC suspensions, you should take very good care of the parts, they will be expensive or hard to come by soon. I wanted to replace my rear height sensor bracket, but that was about $200 at Ford. The joints in those will wear out eventually, try to keep them lubricated.

Adjusting the height can be tough also, I wanted mine lowered to match my 1" blocks. I had to drill new holes and slot them. I still need it a hair lower, so I'm thinking of Steeda 1.5" blocks for later. Regards,

The other way of testing it is to disconnect the sensor arm from the rear axle and push it up. The Suspension should think that the rear of the car is lowered due to weight in the boot, now the pump should run.

also it is possible for the pump to be faulty and the light not to indicate it on the dash, the fault light only comes on when the suspension is low and not lifted so, if the car is already high enough then there is no fault recorded.
(get what i mean)

Thanks Dave and all who replied :D
I didn't mess with it too much as I thought that I might break it. The locating piece that the arm fits on seems a bit fragile to me!!!!!
I have also noticed that this Ex has the same "lean" to the passengers side rear, when it is parked, as our last one, are they all like this? I don't remember my original Ex having this "lean". The lean is not noticable when it is being driven only when it is stationary, I am happy to wait till it stops raining (if it ever does lol) so you can all run out and look at yours :D :D :D
Thanks in advance guys

Keith

Ok I fell for it and got wet. Nope can't see a lean here. Could be that the nearside air shock leaks slightly or you drive around with a full fuel tank. (80 litres of petrol does come in quite heavy). :D

Hi Howard
Sorry you were impatient :D and got wet matey.....
It seems to do it whatever fuel load is onboard. I thought it strange that both cars had the same lean to them, will have to check to see if the shock is leaking.. How to do it though? Any advice please?
Thanks

Keith

I would think that a way to do it might be to get the shocks to pump themselves up, but putting weigh in the back. Then have a look see if you hear anything.

The four suspension springs control the weight distribution, and leaf springs sagging is common. I'd suggest by starting with the front, make that level, which is easy. Set the heights of each front lower control arm bolt at the same height(this requires an alignment if you change the heights).

With the front level(not the fenders, the suspension), you can then better compare the rear. Check the rear heights from the ground to a suspension point on each side. The entire body is not exactly level on the frame/chassis. Don't go and level the body while ignoring the suspension. The real weight distribution of the suspension affects handling, you should want that even. Good luck,

The ARC system checks and resets the rear height when the doors have been opened, and shut, after 20-30 seconds. Having the hatch open for a short while, and then shutting it, standing on the rear bumper, that will make it function.

The old soapy water around the joints should show any leaks. Only way to be sure is to use a tape and measure the chassis to ground. Whether it is worth doing anything about it depends on how bad it is.

Thanks all for your comments.
I will have a look at it once it has stopped raining, driveway is like a river just now :)

Keith

sls

With the switch off does the light come on on the dash? Check all the fuses.

hi, i to still have no sls working i have done all the checks and chnged the pump and hieght sensor but no power to the pump is there a relay hiding somwhere? malc

There should be two fuses in the Power Distribution Box, and one relay somewhere under that. My 98 harness had a two relay sized aux relay box under the PDB, the one ARC relay was in it. In the 99-01 trucks the under hood harness is different, the relay would be close still. I had to add all of those wires to my truck, so I used convenient excess wiring components which I had.

Find the relay and swap it, the fuses are much easier to check and likely to fail.

Do listen carefully to the rear of the truck when you first get in it. With nothing turned on it is very common to hear a click, and a second click after that. If you do hear those click noises, then you do have some power going to the back. That clicking is likely in the air solenoids or the switch on the compressor(air dryer). If you don't ever hear those noises, then I would suspect a wiring/power problem.

hi, thanks don, i do get a power supply to the air soinoid but non to the pump, i will check out the relay under the pdb. regards malc

The wires going to the compressor are large, about 8 gauge or at least 10 gauge. There is a connector along the frame under the driver's seat. That one connector has the main power wires for the ARC, check for power there if the relay is hard to find.

Back