• Register Today It's free!

Sharkfin Antenna & Remote Start

kars85

Reaction score
City, State
Ames, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Looking at swapping out the stock antenna on my X for the sharkfin type. My question is, is that where the antenna used for remote start is, too?

I've got the base remote start enabled by the dealer on my XLT, and it's only good for ~250-300ft if the stars align, and I'd hate to sacrifice that distance installing the sharkfin style.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The remote start/keyless entry receiver is the TPMS Receiver which is mounted in the bottom of the center console.

Karson, the roof antenna is in fact a 2 in 1. The 'stick' part is for the AM/FM and the base is the Sirius satellite receiver. The GPS antenna is under the dash on the driver's side if I'm not mistaken. Jason has covered where the antenna for the remote is located.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

The remote start/keyless entry receiver is the TPMS Receiver which is mounted in the bottom of the center console.

I always thought that was odd to put the antenna so low and inside the vehicle. A vehicle is pretty much RF tight. Essentially a metal and glass shielded box around the antenna.

Odd that they wouldn't do what most technologies do for better RF reception and have the antenna located as high as possible and as well on the exterior.

I wonder what the range would be with an external antenna?

Any status update with swapping out the antenna?

I did not get good range on my remote start especially if I had my phone charger plugged into the outlet. Recently I changed out my console to a Havis to accommodate my two way radios and my range doubled on the remote start. I must have moved it or done something to increase the range. Now if I can see the Explorer I can most likely start it.

I removed the factory antennea the moment I drove my 14 into the garage. Yes, the sharkfin works great and looks better then the ugly stock antennea.

IMG_7747-M.jpg

Back