Shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shocks

Hey - my X (94 XLT 4x4) needs new tires and & shocks.

I'm probably going with 30x9.5 for the tires, but the shop quoted $350 for a full set of shocks, installed.

Does that sound right?

With tires & shocks I'm looking at $900.

Seems really high.

I am in CA though... so who knows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monroe.

Not sure of the model.

They are about $80 each installed, plus tax.

Sorry if this is a newb question, but do lift kits come with shocks?

If so, I might go with the 31x10.5 instead of the 30x9.5 for now, and hold off on the shocks for a couple of months until I can get a lift.

I got Rancho RSX shocks a couple of months ago and was not that impressed. But after the new tires last week, what a difference. The tires made the ride quality so much nicer than the shocks.

One thing I noticed is with my stock 15x7 inch rims. 31 inch tires look very skinny. I got 30x9.50 and they look O.K. Ford needed a 8 inch wide rim stock for Explorers.

Mr XLT

Shocks are pretty easy to install yourself. They take a little time, but I did it with a friend in about an hour.

Budget: Gabriel VST
$$$: Rancho 9000 (for the adjustability)

Please search around this site; there are guides on shock install and many threads with opinions.

Here you go, if you decide to do them yourself:

Dead Link Removed

$80 ea. for monroe shocks is way too high. i got monroe sensa-tracs about a month ago for $35 ea. with free installation at sears.

Shocks are one of the easiest things to do. Just a couple of bolts.

Somebody just posted here saying they bought Monroe Sensatrac for $30 ea. That is one heck of a buy if you ask me. If you are so concern about the price then its well worth it for you to learn how to install them yourself. There's nothing to it. You'd be glad you did at the end. I promise. ;)

Thanks for the replys guys.

For the price. I think I will be looking into doing it myself...

:p

$400 for monroe's are defintely too high. I looked at rancho's at sears back home and they were $400 for everything. I got a monroe steering stabilizer and it is sh!@.

What are you all moaning and *****ing about? :D A full set of Monroe Sensatrac over here in Germany is about 360 Dollars without the install. And thats the price of a shock thats made in France....

Back