• Register Today It's free!

Slip Yoke thump & bump Fixed!!!

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Just wanted to say thanks and kudos to those who have submitted responses to the rear end thump that can be felt from the driver seat.

I finally got off my lazy azz and removed the rear drive shaft. After some doubt in my mind that if the slip yoke were to be greased and reassembled that my thump would disappear (problems usually don't go away this easy).

Well It did!!! No more thump...This site rocks!!!

Thanks!:D

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you got it fixed:D

I need to get off my u-know-what and do that too.
I already know those bolts will be rusted solid..., not looking forward to it.

It's not that bad....

Suggestion, Pre-soak the driveshaft bolts with liquid wrench or such pre-disassembly, will save you a few curse words.

Also, I only had a 12mm socket to remove these bolts, and it is a 12 point fitting. So, don't do like I did, and pray to f that your second and last socket doesn't break before you finish the job, and get yourself a open/closed end 12mm wrench!!!

Other than that...when the job is done, you'll say to your self with satisfaction of the fix...why did I not do this along time ago!!!

Have fun!

Cheers,
J

boot?

What did you use to reattach the rubber boot???

When my Explorer weas towed a mont hago (fuel pump rupture) they removedt he driveshaft so I know the bolts will come out...

At least this is ONE fix that wont (hopefully) cost an arm and leg...

i soaked them with PB blaster the day before them got a 12 point box end wrench and another bigger wrench for a cheater.Put some anti sieze on the bolts before you reassemble:D

Sorry I used a cable tie to hold the rubber boot,then just clipped the excess off with side cutters:D

?

Just wondering...would it be possible to grease the slip joint connection just by removing the boot on one end??

Or is dropping the shaft absolutely needed???

I've got to do this too. What kind of grease?

I used adjustable straps found at any auto/home dealer.
~2.5"-3" od, but not exactly sure on this...just look underneith before you by them and judge esstimate the best size to be used.
these straps are the ones that have the fixed nut with a with a hex head and slot for a flat blade screw driver. This way when maintenance time falls again, these straps can be back off and re-used. Cheap too!!!

Best of luck...

J

Nope!

The slip yoke requires to be taken appart...

Use a lithium type grease...

I used vavoline super lithium grease. Made for Ford parts according to the can of grease???

It's also specified in your owners manual with the part #, seeing as though it's regular maintenance...under types of fluids to be used.

HTH!

J

I am going to use a hose clamp to secure the boot...

As far as what grease, I believe you use white lithium grease, I have a spray can of it. I'll do more checking before I do it though. There is a great thread here somewhere about it, with PICS...
search for slip yoke

I mixed lithium grease and copper anti sieze and it worked for 3 years now.Before when I used to use just grease I was doing it every year

I would think it would need to be thicker than the spray can stuff wouldn't it? I had my ex at the dealer last week and I called to check on thier progress and asked the service guy how much they charge to do it. He didn't know what I was talking about, says they have never done that before!

Originally posted by 88vert
i soaked them with PB blaster the day before them got a 12 point box end wrench and another bigger wrench for a cheater.Put some anti sieze on the bolts before you reassemble:D

What exactly do you mean by 'cheater'?
I have a 12-pt box end/open end wrench. But I'm not sure how to attach a bigger wrench to the smaller one to get more leverage!

put the box end on the nut and hold it there, with the other hand put the other wrench(the one you're using as a cheater) over one of the jaws of the open end and push or pull. Be carefull! they can slip big time!! Play around with two wrenches you'll figure it out.

Did you get her done?

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
I am going to use a hose clamp to secure the boot...

As far as what grease, I believe you use white lithium grease, I have a spray can of it.

Not white lithium grease, a Lithium based chassis grease.

Originally posted by SteveVB
Not white lithium grease, a Lithium based chassis grease.

Oh! You mean the same gray grease that I put in tie rod ends? I've got a grease gun loaded with that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back