• Register Today It's free!

Slow tranny fluid leak

sethmorgan

Reaction score
City, State
Hanahan, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0
Hey yall. First post here. I have a 2002 4.0 SOHC with ~109,000 miles that appears to be leaking tranny fluid where the trans meets the engine. I guess that's the rear main seal? It's definitely not engine oil. I can't check the fluid level on it due to lack of dipstick. Is this a common problem? Is it a DIY kind of job for the weekend mechanic (I can do brakes, CVs, etc.)? The Haynes manual is less than helpful. I want to avoid the dealership, but haven't found a tranny shop I trust yet. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Seth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a look where the cooling lines go into the transmission to make sure they are not loose and leaking, if they are it will run down the side and drip from the bottom. The rear main seal is in the engine, which will only leak engine oil not tranny fluid. You could have a leak in the front seal where the torque converter slips into the tranny. I don't have a manual here for the 5r55w so I can't help much with how the seal pulls out.

It seems to be leaking at the seal in this pic.

hmmm, if you sure it's not motor oil, and there is nothing running from the sides or top of the tranny then there is only one culprit. The seal around the Torque converter into the pump cover. The only way to get to it is to pull the tranny :dunno: You may want to try one of the stop leak products in the interim if it is leaking badly then they will do nothing...

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eye on it. It hasn't leaked enough to actually drip; I just happened to notice the fluid buildup during an oil change. I wish there was a convenient way to check the fluid level.

I wish there was a convenient way to check the fluid level.

if I recall right there is...

I think it is a process of removing the fill plug and using something to measure the level. But since I have the 5r55e, I wouldn't know since Ford graced me with a magical "Dipstick" :)

I'm pretty sure there is a sticky in the tranny section about this..

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eye on it. It hasn't leaked enough to actually drip.

Ok fast forward almost two years. It's now leaking enough to cause problems. Took it to a mechanic I trust, and the diagnosis is the torque converter seal. But he said that it is caused by too much pressure building up, and this model Explorer is susceptible this; that if I just replace the seal that it will just happen again. The recommendation is to rebuild the transmission at a cost of $1,500.

Does the pressure buildup theory make any sense? I've seen nothing here about this.

Back