Solving shift flare before it ever occurres? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solving shift flare before it ever occurres?

Overhilladventurer

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer
Has anyone ever tried the Servo bore o-ring fix before experiencing any delayed/hard shifts from 2-3 and 4-5?

I have an ‘03 Explorer and it shifts fine but I anticipate it will start “flaring” between shifts. I’m familiar with the simplicity of the fix —temporary or not — and I’m considering installing the modifies IM and OD Servo bores from AJ1E solutions as a preventive maintenance. I can replace the o-rings each time I chance the tranny fluid.

I’d like to prevent any aluminum shavings from getting into the trans and damaging other parts of I can help it. One symptom I do have is a delayed shift from park to drive and reverse to drive. Not sure if that’s related...likely a solenoid issue.

Will the modified Servo bores even fit before the factory servo bores make a wider hole for them?

Also, I’ve read that boring out/sleeving the case will extend the life of your rebuilt trans but won’t always prevent the servos from wearing out the brass sleeves. Has anyone put the modified Servo bores in the brass sleeves after rebuilding the trans?

Shift kit with shift time reprogramming will help. It reduces the shift time and actually makes the 5r55 feels like a transmission

Back