Spare wheel and tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare wheel and tire

I have a 97 Explorer (not sure which model) which has the OEM chrome three spoke rims with 255/70 R 16 BFG AT KO's and something else underneath as a get you home spare. I also have an extra three spoke rim. If I fit a 255/70 R 16 BFG AT KO to it will this rim and tire combo fit underneath the car in the spare wheel rack? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I knew that would be the first response :D Seriously tho' I am assuming that Ford put the get you home wheel there as a way of saving on the build cost I am going to get another full size tire anyway for long journeys. A 50 mph rated spare is as much use as an ashtray on a scuba tank. (Last year on a run to catch the ferry to Holland I had a blowout (front left) and would not have made the ship if I had had to run at 50)
A full size spare makes a lot of sense even if it has to ride in the trunk.

If you have a round-tube hidden hitch then you will have to beat the heck out of the metal tire rest in front of the spare to get it to fit. You still might without a hitch. The underside of the '95-'97 Explorers were not built to store a 30" spare tire. I have a 30x9.5 wedged tightly between my hitch and the metal support by the rear differential. A 255 70R16 (30x10) will probably be a bit too big. Be careful off-roading that you don't drag it on the ground.

I have a 97 sport and I was able to fit a 255/70 16 spare under there. It fits real snug but it does fit. Also note that I dont have a hitch installed so I'm not sure how that will affect it.
BTW my tires are Goodyear Wrangler AP

Dale

Robert,

Thanks for the reply - nice truck BTW - I thought that it might be a bit of a tight squeeze but I'll give it a try any way. (just as soon as the next container of BFG's gets here in two weeks time). Jeez you'd think this was a third world country - Oh wait...... I forgot ...... silly me!

Greeting from the United Kingdom - Home of the British Army - the World's oldest reenactment society

its only an inch bigger overall
which makes it .5 inches bigger all around. There should be a half inch more space under there

Dale,

Thanks for that. I don't have a hitch installed yet, but it's on the cards (I got one of a wrecked car a couple of days ago).

Cheers

Back