Spark plugs and wires?

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Hello,
I have an 2002 Explorer with 4.6 V8 and just went over 100k miles. I want to change the spark plugs. Is it necessary to change the wires at this time as well?

Any concerns of the plug coming apart in the cylinder head upon removal?

Does anyone know of a step by step procedure with pictures?
Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would do both at the same time....there goin to be needing replacement soon so why not do it while your getting spark plugs.

plug shouldn't come apart in the head, but never say never. just be careful, i've cracked a 2 or 3 spark plugs in the head and believe me that is a real pain in the ass.

I'm in the process of giving my 4.6 X a tune up aswell....goin with the NGK Iridium spark plugs and some ford racing wire.

Hello,
I have an 2002 Explorer with 4.6 V8 and just went over 100k miles. I want to change the spark plugs. Is it necessary to change the wires at this time as well?

Any concerns of the plug coming apart in the cylinder head upon removal?

Does anyone know of a step by step procedure with pictures?
Thanks,
Gregg

Breakage is not a big issue on the 4.6L engines with the welled plugs. Make sure to torque them correctly to spec. Do not overtighten or cross thread. Use a length of rubber hose to start the plug in the threads, not a tool. This prevents cross threading.

I would change the wires with something Ford/Motorcraft branded. Don't save money there!

I would do this job with the engine stone cold after sitting overnight, after blowing out the spark plug bosses (to prevent entry of foreign material) and pouring some penetrating oil to sit on the threads overnight. I am no fan of dealing with buggered aluminum threads.

I would only use the factory-spec plugs. Lots of data out there that these engines are picky about plugs.

Yes on torquing them carefully.

Although I am not certain, I think you have a "coil on plug" design; hence, no spark plug wires in the traditional sense, so they should not need replacing.

True, there are no hi voltage plug wires. There is a coil for each plug.

Back