Spartan Locker

Mufasa556

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
2016 XLT
I recently moved to Colorado and have been trying to get my truck (99 5.0 AWD) snow ready.

A long time again I bought a spartan locker for the rear end. I dig it out to put it in, but was reading that due to the rear end in the 2nd Gens that it won’t work in my truck.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Can I just take it apart and put the spartan in or do I have to rebuild rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure you need to have an "open" carrier for it to fit in. I think an LSD carrier is different.

^^^Correct.^^^ Open carrier is needed for that locker. If yours is indeed an LSD, you can find them used on Ebay for $50 shipped.

You might want to have the backlash re-set, doing the carrier swap tho.

All second gen V8s are 3.73 limited slips.

All second gen V8s are 3.73 limited slips.

Actually not true. You could get either 3.55's (predominately on the 2wd, but there are some AWD versions) OR 3.73's (AWD) and they did not necessarily have to be limited slips.

I’d love to actually see proof of this. When shopping I looked at 100+ AWDs, and every single one of them had a D4 rear.

Also, you don’t really want a locked rear in snow. A limited slip is more squirrelly in slick conditions, and anything that had a more positive lock would be much worse. Off road it’d be great, but it’d be more than a handful on road.

I’d love to actually see proof of this. When shopping I looked at 100+ AWDs, and every single one of them had a D4 rear.

D4's might be the most common package on the V8, but I have it on good authority, though rare, that there was at least one instance of a 3.55 awd.

I appreciate all the responses. If that’s the case, I’ll just invest in some decent all terrains and call it done for now.

I had all the parts for a 4406 swap, but the shipping company wouldn’t allow them to be shipped in the truck and I ended getting rid of the T-case. I’ll have to find a decent junkyard in Denver and pull another one.

I loved my grabber AT2s for plowing and deep snow. Great treadwear as well.

I appreciate all the responses. If that’s the case, I’ll just invest in some decent all terrains and call it done for now.

I had all the parts for a 4406 swap, but the shipping company wouldn’t allow them to be shipped in the truck and I ended getting rid of the T-case. I’ll have to find a decent junkyard in Denver and pull another one.

There is a lot of U Pull and Pay Junk yards around Denver that you can get the T-case for your Explorer. Just Google U pull and pay and a web page will be available. Pretty easy to use and will give you prices of what you are looking for.

I have never ever seen anything other then 3.73 LS rear axle in 5.0 Explorer

Also, you don’t really want a locked rear in snow. A limited slip is more squirrelly in slick conditions, and anything that had a more positive lock would be much worse. Off road it’d be great, but it’d be more than a handful on road.

Shooting dual snow roosters 50 feet behind as you pull away sideways rocks!!!!

:D

Agreed, but when you do it by accident, and still a little sleepy on the way to work it’s a little unnerving.

Back