• Register Today It's free!

sport trac rear brake issue

fx-tech

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
Hey all, Just found this forum today while searching for a solution to my brake dilemma. I've got an 01 sport trac that I'm doing the rear brakes on. I've done plenty of drum brake jobs in the past but this one has me by the nuts. I put everything new on, wheel cylinders, shoes, spring kits, lubed and checked everything and it's all fine. Except the new drums won't go back on. I've done it all, checked the E-brake cable and mech. Fine. Wheel cylinders are open. Star adjuster is all the way in and seated correctly. Shoes are matching old ones front to back (long and short). Everything is as it should be except the new drums will not go on. I even got a new, different pair of drums from another store and still won't go on. The only thing I can think is that one shoe is much thicker than the other and on regular explorer shoes they'e not as thick. Has anyone had an issue with this.
Thanks for any help...
CJ

Problem solved. I guess. I tried a set of brake shoes for a regular Explorer, not Sport Trac and the drums went right on. There is a couple millimeter difference in thickness between the two and that made all the difference. My question is, why wouldn't the ones supposedly made for the sport trac fit??? Could my truck have a different rear end in it? I've had it for seven years and it had 95,000 miles on it when I got it so I guess it's possible. How could I find out???

What year Explorer brakes did you use? I should probably change the rear brakes on my '01. Curious to see if I have a similar problem.

Strange that RockAuto shows the same Monroe BX723 or BX723R (Riveted) shoes for the 2001 ST, Explorer, and Sport.

Back