• Register Today It's free!

Steering Column pictures needed

whagen

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exp XLT Sport 4WD V8
I was hoping that someone could take a few pictures of the lower portion of the steering column from the firewall up to the steering column itself.

I had a plastic bushing fall out that holds the lower bearing in the steering column. I just want to see out its supposed to back in. Thanks

BTW its a 2004 XLT

Thanks

If you need to e-mail the pictures please send them to wahagen@gmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wished you'd of gotten those pics. That's what I need right now as the bushing in mine has fallen out as well.

I got mine back in most of the way. It was a little awkward but only took a few minutes. I don't think you can get the plastic bearing retainer by itself which is a shame, so i hope yours in ok shape.

I used a large flathead screw driver as a lever to push the upper most universal joint up i think. or I pried up on the plastic bearing retainer against the lower part of the column and worked the bushing up slowly.

I did this almost 2 years ago and it's been holding up fine. I don't think i got it in fully, but most of the way.

If i remember I will take some pics today.

IMG_0359.jpg

Photo added

Photo added

[
IMG_0359.jpg

I have the same problem, I did a body lift and didnt disconnect it when lifting and it pulled it out.

I know this is an old post but how did yours come out and is there a replacement part???

I had work done on my explorer to fix the hvac air box. I requires removal of most of the dash snd dropping or removal of the steering column. I tried to have the repair place fix it but they were makeing it worse. So i cleaned up the plastic retainer which was cracked and wedged it back it. It has held fune ever since. That plastic bearing retainer clip is only available with the steering column. Try a junk yard for the clip or a colum if your clip is unusable. If u take the column out it should be easier to work on. And i recall the feeling driving it that way. Doesnt feel right with the wheel wobbling all iver the place.

Back