Steering Rack Removal and Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Rack Removal and Installation

Evan6ardner

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 2WD
I just wanted to mention a few notes to folks out there with leaking steering racks.

First of all, don't rebuild it yourself. It is a PITA. You can get it for $200 at Advance Auto Parts and get $90 back when you return the core.

Secondly, there is a video on youtube of a guy removing his rack on a 95 ford explorer. The 2001 sport trac is similar, but it is WAY tighter. I found that I had to remove 2 fluid lines already on the rack to squeeze it through. I also tried every way possible to install and remove the rack. It really seems like the only way to do this is:

1) remove both wheels
2) unscrew everything
3) slide rack all the way to the right
4) move driver tie rod forward such that it is in front of the cross member.
5) move the rack back to the left. be patient, you're going to have to jiggle and wiggle and curse and spit. At some angle, it will magically get out
5a) if you have issues, you may want to unbolt the little bracket holding what I believe is an AC line and try to move it a 1/2 an inch.

Good luck. You're going to need it. I hated myself while I was doing the job. I was covered in power steering fluid...dirt, grime. I had never been more covered in crud in all of the other car repairs I've taken on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had the pleasure yet. Hope I don't have to. I'll be happy to send instructions from the Ford manual to anyone who needs them.

I would have be interested to see those. Please email me those instructions if you don't mind. I'm curious if they recommended removing it the same way the guy showed w/ the 95 explorer. I just can't get over how tight the fit was.

On my Nissan, the steering rack isn't so tall, so you can take a wheel off, unbolt it, and pretty much slide it right out from the cross member.

Actually, I think the real problem is that ford boxed it in on two ends. Oh well. What's done is done.

Will do.

Hrm. I took it to get aligned at Sears (maybe that was my first mistake), and they tried 3 separate times (the kid was probably no older than 24), but each time the steering wheel would drift to the right. When it was turned all the way to the left, and returned to neutral, it'd stay straight and slowly drift again.

Any ideas?

Back