Still being suprised at what the X can do... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still being suprised at what the X can do...

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
This weekend I had to tow our van. I wanted to take it to Phoenix, Az but I wasn't going to tow 100+ miles using the X.. Across town was ok, but I didn't want to do the freeway...

The van is over 5klbs and the trailer is about 1k.. so my trailer weight was more than the X.. and I didn't have enough tongue weight since the van barely fit on the trailer (1/2 the rear tire was off the trailer).. Also, the tongue of the trailer was up too high so I got sway when I hit bumps (especially with all the wind on Saturday). I did have to compress the front suspension on the van to keep it from swaying bad.

I towed it across town (still 35 miles) I was amazed at how well the X could pull it (and stop).. There was only one time when I could really tell I had too much weight (other than the one time I got a bad sway before I compressed the front suspesion on the van)... I stopped at a stop sign which was on a hill. I had to start from a dead stop and try to turn left while heading up hill. The X strained, but it moved (I'm sure the locker wasn't helping any since I was trying to turn at the same time)..

In a few weeks I'll take it to Phoenix but I"ll use my Neighbors full size pickup to tow it..

Here is a pic of what it looked like hooked up..
left-rear.jpg

left-view.jpg

oh yea.. that motor has over 300k on it and still going strong. and I'm still amazed at what the X can do...

~Mark

:D

Back