Stock Sub Location Box Setups

EBInterceptor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
So I yanked the sub I replaced on my '93 EB X. I have a 6 or 6 1/2" JL W0. Since I have it I want to use it, but don't have the stock sub box in my newer Sport. I want to build a box to fit that location to fit the sub. I've seen some people who've made them out of different materials and I want to know how other people did them, I can't seem to find those pics again. I'm don't want a box out in the open because I frequently use all the space in my X.

If anyone could answer any or all of the questions I'd really appreciate it.

1. I know many boxes are build out of MDF, and I have plenty of 3/4" MDF laying around. So considering that I have that wood and know my way around woodworking tools, is that what I should build it out of?

2. What about making a small box out of MDF and then fabricating a front to fill the whole with another material like oak or cedar or something.

3. Or could I build the rear of the box out of MDF and then have the front be larger and fill the gap?

4. Does the box need to be the same material all around?

5. How much space do I have to work with in that area, and what's the idea size for a sub of that small of size.

6. Do I even need to build a box? Or can I just attach the sub to a front panel?

7. I've seen other people build them but haven't done it myself, so as far as sealing it all up, I should use wood glue and like drywall screws (just anything with a tight thread)....or do you use a thicker glue, like caulk gun style?

That's all I can think of right now, I'm looking forward to combining my love for woodworking and my love for working on my X. Thanks for all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know? I basically want to know how to build a small box for a 6 1/2" sub. How small can I make it? Or what are some dimensions?

Originally posted by EBInterceptor
Does anyone know? I basically want to know how to build a small box for a 6 1/2" sub. How small can I make it? Or what are some dimensions?

all depends on the sub, different subs, need different ammount of airspace... first ge sub, than build the box to suit it

peace

I have a 6 1/2" JL W0. Or whichever the factory sub size is.

ok, srry i hust reread your first post, i would search the net, unless you have your original sheet on it, and see what kinda air space the sub need........ i woudl build it outta mdf, all around..... and i think you use liquid nails to seal it up, since soemthign in the caulking can screw up the sub or somthing, i dunno but i think i read that.......

peace

Back