Stumped on a rumble strip feeling when slightly turning. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stumped on a rumble strip feeling when slightly turning.

Courage68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT Sport
Well , im stumped on this one guys.

When driving around 50mph and slightly turning wheel left or right i get a on and off rumble strip vibration in the car. However it doesn't do it while driving straight.

What ive done so far.

All new cv axles all 4 ,front upper control arms/ball joints , wheels and tires. Wheel bearings were done maybe 5k miles prior to this problem.

Truck is at 131k miles. Trans shifts like normal. doesn't seem to be engine RPM dependent

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a wheel bearing going out already. Yup, I know...they are fairly new but either low quality bearings or improper installation can mean they won't last long. I've read on here about the guy who went with the cheap Chinese bearings only for them to go out within 20 miles of the repair. Sometimes it can be as simple as not torquing to spec or sometimes they get damaged when pressing them in for example.

Also, could be you need an alignment.

check your lug nuts one or more may have loosened up. Does the truck shake on the turns or just noise

Sounds like a wheel bearing going out already. Yup, I know...they are fairly new but either low quality bearings or improper installation can mean they won't last long. I've read on here about the guy who went with the cheap Chinese bearings only for them to go out within 20 miles of the repair. Sometimes it can be as simple as not torquing to spec or sometimes they get damaged when pressing them in for example.

Also, could be you need an alignment.

i checked for slop in the bearings didn't notice anything. I'll double check all 4 this weekend.

check your lug nuts one or more may have loosened up. Does the truck shake on the turns or just noise

i put new wheels and tires with all new lugs. it does shake only on turns. But its not wild where i feel it wanting to pull the steering wheel out my hand or anything crazy like that.

sounds like an alignment issue, with all that front end work did you do a wheel alignment afterwards?

havnt had a chance yet been super busy and alot of shops around here do real ****ty work. truck drive streight as an arrow before and after work. and tire wear was nice on old tires so didnt think it was that. But wouldnt hurt to have it re done.

Did it start after you put the new wheels on, they may be out of balance

Rumble strip feeling was their prior to all work done and new tires and wheels. (Minus wheel bearings)

The tires were old and had some dry rot on sidewall . So I decided to buy all new tires and wheels. Problem still there

I kind of remember a little slop on the driver's front lower ball joint. I wonder if that could be it. I'll double check that this weekend.

How about sharp slow turns?

How about sharp slow turns?

Nothing no pops , hopping or anything. Performs fine I drive around town all day and have zero problems. Only happens on highway at 50mph when you have to turn slightly with the road

Back