Stupid Check engine light!

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Well, I don't really have any question at all, just wanted everyone to know what I've done if they have had some issues like I had.

It all started about last October. My check engine light went on, and I was having extremely poor gas milage (~3-4 mpg), eradic idle and overall poor performance. First code that it shot out was O2 sensor was stuck on rich. So we replaced the o2 sensor, nothing. Replaced spark plugs/wries, nothing. Then a new code poppped on. It was a PCM code. thats not good. I replaced the battery cable in hope that the computer just wasn't getting enough power since they were really corroded. Well that worked for about a week, then went back to poor performance and the light was back on. So after some checking, we found that the computer was bad. Replaced that but the light came back on the next day (which really pissed me off, since I just put $250 down on a new non-returnable computer) But I was on the interstate and the light turned off, which never happened before. Idle is back to normal, and getting 12-15 mpg again. Sweet, I guess it just needed to have a learning process or something. Hopefully it will last. The lights popped on a few times since then, but only for a couple mins. Do any of you think that might mean something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aslong as its running OK

i bet it was completley an electrical issue

damn computers cause more problems then good =) hah kidding

There is a reason that the CEL is illuminating; read the code(s).

FYI used computers, stacks of them, can be found at most junk yards, or receylced auto parts dealers. I pay $35-60 for them

yeah, I would have gotten a used one, but they didn't tell me it was the computer until 2 days before I was leaving for Moab. I didn't have time to go looking for one :(

Back