• Register Today It's free!

Superchip!?!???

jrfranz

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0L 4x4
I bought espnfreak's super chip - it matches my MKK2 engine code - and very carefully installed it per the instructions -

Truck started and ran great on the 2/3 tank of 87 octane - filled the balance with 91 octane

Noticed tonight and on my drive home yesterday that the truck hesitates when warmed up and sitting stopped at a stop light - RPMs drop from idle at about 800 to almost 0 and then pick up again or if I let it idle and rev the engine a few times in park it will actually stall. Does not happen when the truck is cold -

Any ideas? Is it the odd mix of fuel?

I like the way it shifts - chip seems to hold it in a lower gear - other than that I cannot convince myself it is that much faster - might be a bit, but I am currently distracted by the hesitation when the motor is hot.

Thanks for any and all comments -

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or 93

Originally posted by aldive
It probably needs 83 gas.

Don't you mean 93. 83 would definately cause his X to knock and ping.

Should I try burning off the whole tank and then filling or should I dilute what I have with 93?

Jeff

Doesn't mixing the 2 octanes cause the gas to be the lower of the octanes? I heard this somewhere..

Thanks -

will try more 93 octane (that is what I filled the other half of the tank with after putting in the chip) - if it still bucks I'll pull the chip and burn off the gas and then refill with 93 and try again.

It just gets so friggin' dark here at 4:45 PM here now - I'll have to wait 'til Saturday.

Unfortuantely I am goign to Chicago with my wife and the truck will sit for a week and a half - I'll let you know what happens -

Jeff

Back