T-case locked up and broke the tranny shaft clean off!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T-case locked up and broke the tranny shaft clean off!!!!!

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
What a bummer!! I finally got my transfer case to my mechanic the other day. He was testing it before they started the work. He called me and said the t-case won't shift into 2wd and it locked up while they were bench testing it. Dang!!! 180 day warranty, good. Another one is on the way. Mechanic called back and said well we decided to remove old t-case and get it ready for when new one came in.

Bad news is you need a new transmission. When the t-case locked up and it was towed in the output shaft on the transmission broke clean off.

So now I'm looking for a new 5spd tranny.

Just wondering if I can upgrade to a better tranny or whether I am stuck with the Mazda 5 spd?

Edit: Is it possible to just replace the output shaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edit: Is it possible to just replace the output shaft?

YES! Don't let em bend you over, Jack! :D

Originally posted by section525
YES! Don't let em bend you over, Jack! :D

I was thinking this was possible, but what about internal damage to tranny? How can I tell if any further damage was caused? Seems like it would take a lot to snap the output shaft and what other damage could have occurred?

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
I was thinking this was possible, but what about internal damage to tranny? How can I tell if any further damage was caused? Seems like it would take a lot to snap the output shaft and what other damage could have occurred?

Seems like they would have needed to tear it apart before they told you you needed a new one. That's what gets me. Sure, breaking the shaft could have grenaded the tranny, but you never know. Maybe it didn't do anything.

EDIT: Maybe they meant that it would need to be rebuilt (since checking for damage would require a tear down anyway. You know?

Well, it broke as a result of the tow truck pulling it onto and off the flat bed. I remember as he was trying to let it down off the flatbed he had a bunch of slack in the winch and it wouldn't budge. He then gave it a push and we heard a snap. Probably the output shaft snapping. I don't know but it seems like the damage would be minimal from this.

Hmm.. I think a tranny shop will charge about $50 to change the output shaft. ASP84 had his changed in his 4R70W to mate with his AA adapter and it seemed to be a real cheap job. I think he said it was around $50-$80 and it was a couple hr job. He already had it torn out of his truck and what not, which would save you some cash.

Hmmmm, well I just talked to the shop again. We discussed finding a good tranny shop to inspect for just rear ouput shaft replacement. Apparently it was trying to drive when the shaft broke. The fracture is diagonal in the shaft. Probably a result from when I attempted to back of the parking space and drive away.

This is all from a stupid mistake I made. I pulled into a parking lot and had a lot on my mind and forgot to turn the ignition off and removed my foot from the clutch and it lurched forward, killing the engine of course.

He thinks there could be some internal damage, but he only sends trannies to Coffman's, Ford or B&B. He will only send them to shops that back his 12 mth warranty.

Well I'm going to have the shop pull the tranny and once I find a good tranny shop I will have them check it out.

Back