• Register Today It's free!

temp gauge dosent work now

Doomie17

Reaction score
City, State
harford county, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited, 93 xlt
ok i searched and i couldnt find any clear answers..

its a 2000 explorer with the ohv vin code x.

recently my temp gauge would just go alittle pass the cold line and just leerch there. and some days it would work normally. so i was talking to my friend who was a tech at toyota about my gas millage being terrible, and i told him bout the temp gauge and he told me it was probally the pcm dumping more fuel into the system because of the temp gauges faulty reading. so tonnight we replaced both thermostat and the coolant temp sensor hooked everything back up put some coolant in. and of couse now the gauge is not reading at all. so i am looking for some advice now on what could be wrong... and the plug for the temp sensor has only one wire coming from it correct.

sorry for the long read just kinda annoyed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im havin da same issue with my 96 sport (vin x)... if you could keep me posted cuz I'll sure be checkin dis thread frequently. I changed da thermostat and da ect sensor... I was told about an ect sending unit dat may be a separate piece than the ect sensor. While we were workin on a 94 (vin x) at school I thought I saw something on the direct opposite side of the thermostat than the sensor. (Like if the sensor was at 2 o'clock this piece was at 10) but I didn't even notice it was there until we pulled off the upper intake... lemme know if u find something please, please, please... n I'll do the same.

i am just starting to think explorers like to be a pain with burping the cooling system. drove the truck tonight and then when i got home let it cool down and could add more coolent so i am thinkin air bubble. might just be it and i will keep u updated drybones

The sensor for the gauge is different than the sensor for the ECM. Are you certain you are changing the correct one?

sounds kind of dumb...but is your needle sticking? This happened to mine, it was a 10 minute fix.

so it might all be solved tommorow. i tlk to my friend at the parts store and he pulled a pic of the ohv and ohc coolant sensors. and what do u know i have the ohc. truck was origanaly a ohv but we had to get a new engine so i have a ohc now. i am quite happy now. so tommorow when i get the part i will swap em out and update u guys

all fixed it ended up that they dont have the actully sensor listed it got all worked out today. the sensor is made by gp sorensen part number is TSU219.

Back