Temperature guage/coolant level

markaz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
1992 Explorer 4.0L

How do I know if there is adequate coolant in the system? When warmed up and I remove the radiator cap the fluid is approx 3-4" from the overflow hole and the coolant level in the overfill tank is right at the "Cold Level". What I'm getting is fluctuation in the temperature gage (which could be a host of other things to consider), but just want to know about the coolant level at this point.

Thanks to any responses to my first post here. Some great info on this site!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey man, welcome to the site! Lots of great people here.

If it's low you need to add coolant.

If your temp gauge fluctuation is not extreme it may simply be the thermostat cycling.

If you haven't changed your coolant for a few years (or ever) it is time. When doing it you should replace the thermostat as well, consider doing a cooling system flush prior to refilling with new coolant.

What maintenance have you done so far?

You should NEVER remove the radiator cap on a warm engine, since it will be under pressure and HOT antifreeze could spray everywhere.

The proper way to check the fluid level is with the engine COLD. The coolant should be at the top of the filler neck or close to it, and the fluid in the overflow tank should be at the COLD level line. If either is low when cold, add coolant and the re-check the next day when the engine is cold again.

Fluxuation in the temperature gauge is usually caused by the thermostat. Usually those with weaker springs will allow more temperature and pressure variation.

The outside temperature can also play a part, with cooler ourdoor temps causing an engine to cool easier, making it so the gauge goes between the N and the RM in "NORMAL" rather than staying in the middle. Hot climates can cause the gauge to go between the OR and the L when at idle in traffic or with the A/C on full blast, which causes the hot air from the condenser to go through the radiator, affecting the cooling ability.

If you have any concerns about the cooling system, or if it hasn't ever been serviced as far as you know, it can be a great idea to change out all the coolant and replace the thermostat.

What Amime said x2

also if when you removed the cap and it was warm and you did not have any pressure or very little to were the motor was at normal temp and it did not spray at all I would say you also may have a leak and its not keeping in the pressure . This I will also cause the change in the gauge reading too. the being low about a few inches would lead me to maybe suspect this if I am assuming correct on the pressure part when you removed the cap but we do know what they say about assuming now right ? Lets hope that not the case here.

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm good about the oil and filter changes, but coolant....not so much. Just checked with a cold engine and the fluid level in the reservoir is at the cold level, but a good 3-5 inches from the neck of the inlet. Some great advice so I'll flush the system, new thermostat and coolant to the proper level.

Again, thanks so much!!

Mark

Hey man, welcome to the site! Lots of great people here.

If it's low you need to add coolant.

If your temp gauge fluctuation is not extreme it may simply be the thermostat cycling.

If you haven't changed your coolant for a few years (or ever) it is time. When doing it you should replace the thermostat as well, consider doing a cooling system flush prior to refilling with new coolant.

What maintenance have you done so far?
"thermostat cycling"? What exactly does that mean? Can't begin to tell you how little I know about engine mechanics! Owned the vehicle for 7 years and I've never changed coolant or thermostat.

Not all thermostats work in an ideal manner.

When an engine warms up, the thermostat stays closed, allowing the engine to warm up, and the coolant to get hot. Once the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, the coolant is hot and the thermostat opens. However, the thermostat might not stay fully open, some of them will vary the amount they stay open, in effect trying to maintain the engine temperature, not letting it overheat, but also not letting it run cold. It can be this 'cycling' that causes the temperature gauge to show the engine as changing in temperature, even though the thermostat is responding to it.

You can also have the opposite, with a thermostat that just stays fully open when hot, and then you might still have a gauge that goes up and down slightly, because the engine temperature is changing based on conditions, how much air is going through the radiator, the load of the fan clutch, etc. but the thermostat isn't doing anything to try and keep the temperature optimal.

Only the most ideal thermostats (like the $20+ Motorcrafts) will actually work in an active manner and do so fast enough to actually keep the temperature gauge needle in the middle of the gauge the majority of the time. Most of the inexpensive thermostats just stay open, or do some minor temperature regulation.

Generally though, for the money, a $5 195 degree Stat Superstat works fine, and you can replace it every year or two and still come out ahead over the cost of a factory one. The Motorcraft 'stats are great, but at $20+ a pop, when they go out, it sucks to keep dropping money on something that works well but doesn't last very long.

7 years is a long time even for 150,000 mile coolant newer vehicles come with. The old stuff that Explorers came with isn't made to go that long.

Go to Napa and get a gallon of either Zerex Green (if your coolant is green, which is probably is) or Zerex G-05 (if your coolant is yellow) and a 195 degree Superstat and gasket. Go to the grocery store and get three gallons or more of distilled water. Drain the coolant, drain the overflow tank, and then refill the system with two gallons of distilled water. Leave the radiator cap off or put it on but loose. Start the engine and idle it until the temp needle gets to the middle and the temp goes up then down, indicating the thermostat opened. Let the engine cool until it's cold. Drain the water, change the thermostat. Notice the state of the cooling system by how clean the inside of the engine is. If it's clean and light green that's good. If it's gunked up and dark brown that's bad. If it's really messy in there you may want to put the old thermostat back in and do flushes with a hose. Otherwise if it's clean, just put in the new thermostat and refill with the gallon of coolant and gallon of distilled water (putting the rest in the overflow tank), then follow the burp procedure to remove trapped air bubbles (leave radiator cap off, start engine, run until needle goes up and down showing thermostat opens), then allow to cool again, top off coolant in the radiator, and repeat the burp procedure one more time.

Don't forget to install the thermostat so that the small orifice is on the top.

Also, don't be surprised if a new thermostat seems to be a dud, it happens often enough. 2x by me on this truck in the past 5 years.

If it's been that long since a radiator flush, I suggest you run a chemical flush through it before the fresh water flush. You can fresh water flush with a garden hose, but that means you have flush with distilled water twice before you add any anti freeze. only use distilled water in the cooling system. If it's not distilled, there will be mineral and other deposits in there that will attach to the surfaces inside the cooling system, reducing effectiveness or causing corrosion.

Great advice. Glad I chose this site for such an old vehicle. Thanks so much guys.

Old? It's only a '92 isn't it?

I laughed when I got my wife a new vehicle, 2002 Tracker. It's got these new-fangled things called airbags or airbaas... I think the g might be silent.

If your radiator is low when you take the cap off and the overflow still has coolant in it, it is not sucking the coolant from the overflow tank. Either there is a leak in one of the hoses or the radiator cap is bad.

Back