Tips and Tricks to removing 4r44e? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips and Tricks to removing 4r44e?

PAshooter

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
So im working on getting my transmission swapped in my 2000 ranger with the 3.0 and am having some difficulty's reaching all the bolts.

I have the starter off and the torque converter bolts, and was told that the top 2 bolts are the hardest to get too. So I started with them.

Any info/tips on removing the transmission would be greatly appreciated. Also what should i do before installing the new transmission? seals to replace? what to clean, etc...

This is my first car and my first transmission swap haha.

Go to Sears and buy the LONGEST 3/8" Extension they have. I think it is something like 20". (I originally bought it for doing tranny swaps, but I have found myself using it for everything from suspension work, to pulling spark plugs comfortably from the wheel well) And if you don't already have it, a 3/8" Universal Joint (the kind that swivels) adapter....drop the transmission crossmember, and set it aside. Let the transmission kinda hang there, with MINIMAL support from your jack near the tail end of the transmission.

With the long extension, and U-joint, you can be behind the transmission with your ratchet, as you un bolt those top bolts.

and btw, those bolts are NOTHING compared to the same bolts on a 4.3L in a S-10. You LITERALLY have to lift the body off the frame to get to them....THEN you have to do the same thing...

Ryan

Back