How to: - Torsion Bar Removal and Installation FMC Spec's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Torsion Bar Removal and Installation FMC Spec's

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
You're welcome, glad it helped.

After plowing a while so far this winter I really like the sport as a driveway plow vehicle. It turns on a dime and gets the job done well.

Removing Torsion Bar

An alternate method is to place a socket on a floor jack and jack up the adjuster enough to slide the retaining bar out of the way.

you dont even have to have any puller at all... just unbolt the shock and UCA at the knuckle with the LCA supported by a jack and lower st till it droops. the bar will fall out.-----to load it up do the opposite. jack it up

I feel comfy changing my Lower Ball Joints but i hear there is a possibility that hole in LCA can be out of round requiring LCA replacement and sounds pretty easy except removal of torsion bar. 1st question.. How do you know how much to jack back up for proper tension?? 2nd question...This may sound pathetic but wont the shock strut retract into shock once disconnected from LCA??? And how does one pull it back out to re-connect to new LCA. Last question... Does new LCA come with new bushings and hardware and do you re-use all other hardware from shock to torsion bar?? Thanks Joe E

Is it possible to remove the 2001 ST torsion bars without the use of a torsion bar tool,
also is it possible that the torsion bar adjuster be turned one slot back, to make up for aged sag.

The above was overheard in a discussion between front end guys here in the Philippines where new parts are practically impossible to atain, and improvission is a way of life

Back