Towing Recommendations for 06 Explorer V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Recommendations for 06 Explorer V8

Towing w/ 06 Explorer V8 - Aftermarket Hitch Update & what else?

Hi Guys-
New to the site, just picked up my pre-owned 2006 Explorer V8 a day or two ago, replacing my 2003 Suburban. I haven't owned an explorer since the mid 90's, so it's been quite a while since my last Ford vehicle.

I have 3 primary reasons for towing;

1) 18' Bowrider w/ trailer weighs about 2500lbs
2) Flat bed w/ Kubota Tractor weighs about 3000lbs
3) Race trailer w/ car weighs about 5000lbs

One of the reason I choose the explorer V8 was it's substantial towing capacity. However, the explorer I ultimately purchased came equipped only with the factory Class II 1 1/4" towing package.

I've done alot of searching and I know the class II hitch is frame mounted and unrealistic to remove & replace. It seems an obvious option to include when ordering a new one for only $250. I have found that an aftermarket class III hitch can be mounted underneath the class II quite simply.

Based on my requirements, it seems this aftermarket class III hitch is the most cost effective solution. Does anybody have any experience with these undermount hitches? Is their another solution I am missing? Any recommendations on trans coolers or other equipment for this model?

Thanks,
Z

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somebody did exactly the same thing. Kept the OEM class II, just covered it with a plastic hitch cover then installed the Class III below the bumper.

Do a quick search - you should be able to find it. There are install pics and step by step installation

---------

well i see now this thread is about the hitch.. but i'm gonna say what i was gonna say anyway..

a huge trans cooler would be a good idea if you're gonna be lugging around 5,000 lb with it.

I'm interested in all recommendations.

I hadn't heard of the 06 w/ the V8 and 6spd needing a cooler. Is their none from the factory?

Even if it came with a trans cooler together with the towing package, it would probably really just be adequate for short and light duty towing --

but notice that rhauf said a "huge" cooler....

A decent aftermarket add on cooler (with at least twice the surface area as the oem to supplement or replace the existing one is highly recommeded specially with the loads you are planning to tow

Check the towing section of this forum - lots of info there. A lot of the information may be about previous gens of the X but the principle remains the same for cooling and trans longevity

Wanted to update this thread on my progress thus far.

I got the new class III hitch installed. I'm not quite sure how to upgrade from the 4 flat trailer connector currently on the vehicle to the round style connector to support a brake controller. Does anybody know if all 4th gen explorers are pre-wired for this?

Thanks,
Z

Back