Tpms on 22" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tpms on 22"

Getcusome

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15' Explorer Limited
Ok I've read different experiences with winter/custom wheel changes. I'm putting new 22" wheels and tires on my wife's 15' limited and am just going to order 4 new 433mhz TPMS from the dealer at $49 a tire. Some have said they just put them in the new rims and the system automatically relearned the new sensors off their winter/custom wheels. Is this true or do I need to go throught the whole reprogramming process and get the Tpms tool? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Getcusome.:wavey:
Did the dealer confirm the TPMS frequency? I believe 315MHZ is the other one.
When I do the annual change over I just have the dealer do the TPMS update as part of the service. I do believe that there are posts where members have confirmed that the module will update the new TPMS serial numbers after driving a bit. If you don't want the dealer to do it, I'd try driving it a while to see if it updates itself before going out and buying a tool.

Peter

Thanks Peter!!! And yes 315 is the other one. I told them the year (15') and model (limited), they said 433. Well I ordered them already so I hope that's correct

Fantastic so I have a new set of 433mhz Tpms sensors for sale! I need the 315mhz! Thanks dealer!

Just have the dealer double check using your VIN to make sure all the info is correct. If they indeed sold you the wrong ones, they should exchange them without any cost since everything was based on their info.

Peter

That's what I did Peter!! Thanks for your help! They ran my vin and only had one part number and it's for the 315mhz

Hope it all works out for you. It is unfortunate that sometimes the customer has to advise the service advisors. It happened much more frequently when the 5th gen first came out. Good luck.

Peter

So to answer my own question, the new sensors must be initialized. I have a Tpms monitor fault now. So get the tool or transfer your old Tpms sensors over. I left the house and it was fine. Shut it off got gas, it was fine, drove the interstate and it was fine, then almost to the house, Tpms sensor fault pops up just as I'm thinking i'm in the clear! Great more headache along with a fluid leak at not even 1,000 miles!

So to answer my own question, the new sensors must be initialized. I have a Tpms monitor fault now. So get the tool or transfer your old Tpms sensors over. I left the house and it was fine. Shut it off got gas, it was fine, drove the interstate and it was fine, then almost to the house, Tpms sensor fault pops up just as I'm thinking i'm in the clear! Great more headache along with a fluid leak at not even 1,000 miles!

Actually, the TPMS monitor fault can be several things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMevsqjSEIQ

I have had no issues with my aftermarket wheels. I have had random fault triggers with the stock wheels... for no reason.

Actually, the TPMS monitor fault can be several things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMevsqjSEIQ

I have had no issues with my aftermarket wheels. I have had random fault triggers with the stock wheels... for no reason.

Watched the video, good info but nothing like that in the vehicle. Ben did you install the tpms sensors in the rim and mount the tires yourself or did a shop do it?

Did you check out this post?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3211242&postcount=46

Peter

No didn't see that but just confirms you need the "wake-up" tool

Yes, you need the tool to learn the sensors to the vehicle. Look on ebay for one. FYI, you can also get the factory TPMS sensors on ebay for about $40-50 for all 4.

Thanks Riley, I actually got all 4 of the 315mhz fomoco sensors made by schrader. The OEM ONES IN SHORT FOR 69.99 for all four. I tried just swapping the tires to see what happened and sure enough I need the wake up tool to add reset the new sensors to the vehicle! Had a tranny deal leak so for the inconveinance I'm gonna let them do it this go around for free. I'll be investing in the tool for next rotation as I'm a DIYer.

Watched the video, good info but nothing like that in the vehicle. Ben did you install the tpms sensors in the rim and mount the tires yourself or did a shop do it?

Had the shop install the wheels and tires, however I purchased and brought the new TPMS sensors. I think which sensors you purchase matter.

On my Focus ST and the Explorer Sport, I did not have to program anything when I had new wheels installed. I get all my sensors from ShopTPMS.com

Ben, the shop probably initialized the new sensors for you without you knowing and that's why you didn't have any issues. I got the OEM 315mhz ford sensors made by schrader and I installed them in my rims myself. Thus they need to be "woke up" to start transmitting and trained to the vehicle.

For me it is just as easy to have the dealer do it when they change the wheels over since I don't have a torque wrench to properly tighten the wheel nuts to the specs. I also have the dealer store my tires.

Peter

Back