tranny problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny problem

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
All gears work except for overdrive. When I put it into overdrive, it idols and revs the engine. Also in the morning when you start it up and put it into drive it revs to redline before it will shift. 2nd time you start it up and thereafter it shift fine in drive. Its a 93 ford explorer with an auto tranny. I tried an adjustment but didn't fix the problem. Anyone know whats wrong with it?

Check fluid level. Is it brown or red? Change the filter ? If it's brown you probably need a rebuild. Try SEARCH
Peace

The fact it works when warm suggests that the problem may be in the "control unit" or as we know it, valve body. I'd suggest getting a flush and the valve body replaced. Good luck getting that done though... everyone wants to rebuild.

I am having problems with my tranny as well. I can go into 2nd from 1st but it will not let me go to 3rd. Sometimes if i tap the break and let off the gas the car will go into gear, if not it just revs up to 4500 rpms. Please help i cant afford to pay for a new tranny. Any ideas.... it wont let me put a new thread so I am responding to yours cause it is similar.

Back