• Register Today It's free!

Tranny swap in Bronco ll

auz1

Reaction score
City, State
Abilene, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco ll
I have a 1990 Bronco ll 2.9 with a bad 5 speed tranny-I understand it is a Mazda tranny with no transfer case-I have located a 90 Explorer 4x4-
(mine is 2WD) What will it take (or will it) to match to my vehicle? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bronco trans

Thanks,you've saved me from making a big mistake- I was told they
were the same.

BII's typically used a 4wd transmission even for 2wd models. For some reason Ford felt it was preferable to use all 4wd transmissions, and then use a "dummy" transfer case in the 2wedd models. Crawl under you BII and see if you have the dummy t-case or not.

I forgot about that, I love Fords, but that was the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

YES, THE TRANS WILL FIT IF YOU HAVE THE DUMMY TRANSFER CASE.
I HAVE AN EXTRA IF YOU NEED ONE (DUMMY TRANSFER CASE)

We took it out of a 2wd B II about 15 years ago to put a real 2wd trans in it.

Sorry about the miss info, failed to think about what you were working on.

Ray

Bronco ll trans swap

Don't mean to be a pest, but will a tranny and transfer case from a 85
Bronc ll fit?

Short answer, yes with a but.

Let's assume that you are correct that your existing transmission is an M5OD. An '85 BII will likely have either a TK5 or an FM 145 transmission. Either will fit, but each is a different length than the M5OD, which means you will likely need to shorten/lengthen your driveshafts, and maybe shift the transmission mounts a little. If you are willing to go that little bit of extra effort, the '85 transmission should work fine.

One thought, though, the M5OD is usually considered the best transmission Ford put into RBV's. Getting any different transmission would be considered a step backwards in the eyes of many people.

your 1990 Bronco II has a dummy t case as mentioned above, that 4x4 transmission will work in there.
I would not be looking for a 85 transmission, I would be looking for A 91-94 MAZDA 5 SPEED personally, there were many internal upgrades in 93 that make the 93+ mazda more desireable

Ranger or explorer will work

this is also a great time to drop a 4.0L OHV V6 in there, it bolts in

will the 4x4 shift mounting bracket From my 1984 Bronco 2 4 speed manual tranny swap over to my 1985 5 speed manual tranny

Crawl under and check!!! Not all late production BII's had the dummy case. Ford stopped using the dummy case sometime in the '90 production run and started using a 2wd trans w/ a flanged output shaft.

Back