• Register Today It's free!

Tranny swap in Northern N.J.

caine217

Reaction score
City, State
englewood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
My tranny went on my 93 XLT. I bought a replacement from Phoenix Hard Parts. Now I'm having a trouble finding someone to do the swap for me. Right now the transmission is over the GW bridge in New York in the back of my pathfinder. I tried a few tranny shops that I knew did good work in N.Y. No one will touch the job. I tried Amaaco , even. They won't touch the job. Does anybody know of a repair/tranny shop that might do this job RIGHT in the New York/New Jersey area?

Thanks,

Yusef

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet is a samll neighborhood mechanic.l No big shop will touch any product they didn't assemble themselves. They don't want to warranty issues.

J

yeah I've been trying to go that route. I have one guy I deal with from time to time but, he's unavailable. Aside from him, I'd be walking in blindly and I'm real nervouse about that.

I live in Northern NJ and i know of a shop out in Flemington NJ that would probably do it for you.

Thanks but, that's actually a hike from where I'm at.
Flemington is about 65 miles from me.
I'd have to tow or cruise in 1st gear the whole way.

AAA will tow up to 100 miles and I think membership is $80 a year.
First gear with the flashers on wouldnt be that bad....if you did it at six in the morning on Sunday. Are the 2nd and drive bands completly gone? Maybe add some more fluid....
GL

I had my transmission done at Closter Transmission give them a call , they are located in closter nj which isnt to far from the bridge you take the palisades parkway right off the bridge , to 9w and get off by alpine/closter

Nick

Yusef
Let us know how the install worked out. Im thinking of buying a A4LD for my 91 EX from phoenix Hard parts...Im going to get my machanic to install it for $250. It looks like you got the tranny back in Jan of this yr..Hows it running now?..Any problems.?.How many miles on it so far..Any update would be helpful to me and the board!
Thanks!! Jim

Interesting enough the tranny blew about 2 weeks ago.
Driving down a street doing about 35mph and saw a big burst of fluid shoot up all over my back window. I only put about 4k on the tranny but I'm passed the warranty period. I have now replaced the 93 with a 96 (had the tranny rebuilt 3 years ago).
I've heard some shotty things about phoenix hard parts. Approach with caution.

Back