• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Fluid Change

jaesto

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer V8 AWD
I would like to change the transfer case fluid in my 2002 Mountanieer AWD V58,000 miles. I have just chaged the rear differential fluid, no big deal.
Can anybody tell me where the transfer case is located (pictures would be great). How is the fluid changed and what type of fluid to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case is attatched to the rear of the transmission. It's the unit with the driveshafts attatched to it. Changing the fluid is simple, and the same procedure as doing the differential. Pull the drainplug on the bottom of the case, let the old fluid run out, then fill it thru the plug on the backside of it, about halfway up the case. Use only a quality branded ATF which meets "Mercon V" specification.

Mine came out so muddy and nasty looking that I actually took about half a quart and flushed it right thru while the drainplug was still out. It helped remove a little more old nasty fluid. I think the case holds about a quart, maybe a little more. Make sure you're on a level surface when you fill it...Just add fluid till it comes back out the filler plug hole.

Is the transfer case the same as center differential I hear people talking about. I changed the rear differential fluid and want to do change all required fluids for maintenance and make sure I do not put the wrong oil.
If the center differential is not the same, where is that located and what fluid is needed.

Is the transfer case the same as center differential I hear people talking about. I changed the rear differential fluid and want to do change all required fluids for maintenance and make sure I do not put the wrong oil.
If the center differential is not the same, where is that located and what fluid is needed.

The transfer case is in a way a center differential. That's not its official name, but it does serve that purpose. There is no seperate center differential that needs servicing outside the transfer case.

Who's talking about a center differential? I've never heard the term used here.

I'm not quite sure where I read about that "center differential", perhaps at one of my google searches.
I think I'm clear now with your great help.
I'll be changing my oil pretty soon. Thanks

Back