Transmission fluid question

controltech

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Ok this may be a really dumb question. Just got an '02 Explorer. 4.0 L V-6

Used to have a '99 but this is different.

How do you check the transmission fliud? I can't find a dipstick and the manual just says to have a qualified mechanic check and add fluid as needed.

Am I missing something? :scratch:

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok this may be a really dumb question. Just got an '02 Explorer. 4.0 L V-6

Used to have a '99 but this is different.

How do you check the transmission fliud? I can't find a dipstick and the manual just says to have a qualified mechanic check and add fluid as needed.

Am I missing something? :scratch:

Thanks

You aren't missing anything. The only thing dumb here is the transmission. Sealed and no dipstick. Plus these early 3rd gen trannys have all kinds of well documented problems. I'm close to having a rebuild installed in mine. My tranny started having issues at 80K miles and now I have 125K.

Hmmm.... I guess it's good to know that I am not blind. But, a little disturbing to hear that these transmissions are known for their issues.

I assume there are some threads on here about them, I will try some searches to find out what kind of problems I might expect.

Thanks SyberTiger!

=How do you check the transmission fliud? I can't find a dipstick and the manual just says to have a qualified mechanic check and add fluid as needed.

The transmissions are in fact sealed units. The drain plug bolt has a small fill hole plug within the head. It requires a Torx bit.

Drain Fluid: Remove drain plug bolt and drain.

Fill Fluid: Install drain plug bolt, remove fill hole plug. Install a 1/8" NPT nipple in lieu of the fill hole plug, and a hose and pump on the nipple. Pump in the same amount of fluid that was drained out, starting with about 5Qt. Crimp the hose, run the engine for 30 seconds only. Remove the crimp, pump the rest in. Remove the pump, hose, and nipple, and install the fill hole plug.

Check Fluid: With the engine running up to operating temperature and fill hole plug installed, remove and install the nipple. Ensure that a light drip comes out of the nipple. Heavy flow means too much, no drip means not enough. I recommend measuring the drained fluid to be spot on with the fluid to be filled (if you're changing it).

I would pick up the workshop manual and follow the instructions to a 'T. This procedure is more of an art than it is 'bolt-on application'.

Even better, I would say its one of the few times going to a dealership is a reasonable choice for transmission fluid changes and flushes. Of course if you have zero interest in a change or flush, ignore everything I mentioned but the check part sir! :confused:

Thanks, but I think I will not be attempting it myself. Sounds like quite a process.

2004 5R55S TC clutch solenoid failed, I replaced the module, chassis-punched a hole in the side of the pan, brazed a crimp-type fitting in place, and installed a fill-pipe/dipstick! Pumping new juice into the transmission from underneath the pan is my impression of a P. I. T. A$$!

imp

2004 5R55S TC clutch solenoid failed, I replaced the module, chassis-punched a hole in the side of the pan, brazed a crimp-type fitting in place, and installed a fill-pipe/dipstick! Pumping new juice into the transmission from underneath the pan is my impression of a P. I. T. A$$!

imp

I'd be fascinated to see some pics. Any chance you be able to snap a few good ones? I like that method better than paying for that aftermarket deep pan.

Back