Transmission Flush | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flush

ScottXXL

Reaction score
I have read a lot of posts on transmission flushes and filter changes. I am due for a filter change with about 50,000 on my rebuild. I have called around and no ones offers "flushing the system." They offer filter and fluid replacement. I asked one place why they don't flush the system—I was told that high pressure applied to the tranny could damage some internal parts.
So I'm alittle confused. If they are replacing the fluid aren't they draining all of the fluid. I have read that a drain won't replace the old fluid still in the torque converter. I heard on "Gossess Garage" a radio program, that it is imparative to get the tranny system completely flushed when the filter is changed or there could be problems down the road. Who's right? Also, should I switch to synthetic with just over 50,000 on my trans?Is it safe or should I just stay with non-synthetic?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can change out the fluid yourself with a few simple tools and do a complete change in the process. It will take an extra person or two. Go to Dead Link Removed. It has detailed instructions on how the change the tranny fluid.

I highly recommend using AMSOIL 100% Synthetic ATF. Your tranny will run 20 to 50 degrees cooler and the fluid lasts 3 to 5 times longer than conventional petroleum.

[Edited by AgExplorer on 10-02-2000 at 08:51 AM]

Back