Transmission Flush

sumofish

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer V6
Hello

I am new to the Ford Explorer. I recently got quoted $170 dollars for a transmission flush for my 2006 Explorer V6 automatic. Had about 115000 miles on it.

My question is can I go the drain and fill myself or should I have the shop do the whole flush?

If I do it myself how quarts of transmission fluid will I need?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would avoid flushing the transmission. This can cause issues where doing a pan drop, filter change and refill do not. Also, to change the filter, which needs to be done at 115k miles, requires the pan to be dropped. Then to get most of the fluid out (75%), I would do a second pan drop, no filter change, and a refill within the next 10k miles. This might sound excessive but considering the issues with the 5R55 transmissions, and cost of replacement, well worth the trouble, IMO. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to do transmission services on Explorers.

If you’ve got rubber transmission cooler lines, I’d puke a gallon of fluid out of the lines, refill, and then do a pan drop in a few thousand miles.

I suck a gallon out the dipstick tube every year

sorry one more question

Which transmission do I have on my explorer?

its a 4x4 automatic V6

thank you

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU - DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY OR 'HAVE' IT FLUSHED. DO THE RECOMMENDED PAN DROP AND FILTER CHANGE AND THE ABOVE REDO OF THE PAN DROP IN 10000 MILES. ALSO, THE SUCK OUT OF A GALLON OF COURSE WITH A FILL OF ONE TOO IS A GREAT IDEA AND I DO TWO QUARTS ABOUT EVERY TWO YEARS.
OK NOW YOU GUYS WHO ARE PRO-FLUSH CAN YELL!!

If I do it myself how quarts of transmission fluid will I need?
About six quarts for a pan drop using Mercon V. You will also need the fitting to connect to the pan to pump the fluid into it.

Back