• Register Today It's free!

transmission slips

charlieshick

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer Sport
So, I've got the 5R55E and lately when I accelerate and go into overdrive it'll go into gear for a second and then my RPMs shoot up to about 5500 and I just coast. After about 20 seconds or so it'll engage again and the Rs will drop back to normal and I'll begin to accelerate again. Also it will hesitate or outright refuse to go into Drive or Reverse whenever I move the gear selector. I plan to change the fluid and filter myself this weekend, but I really have no clue how an automatic transmission works so if it's something else that's giving me this problem I am clueless. So, if anyone has any insight as to what could be the problem I'd sure appreciate it.

Odd, my Haynes manual says that since I have a 98 Explorer 4x4 with a V6 I should have a 5R55e but the Autozone and Summit websites say I have the A4LD. So, I guess that just thickens the puzzle for me.

You have the 5R55E. It sounds like a hydraulic pressure issue. It might be a failing EPC solenoid, bad valve body gaskets, or loose valve body bolts. Read the sticky written by Glacier991 called the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary for more information. Some people have had these issues, and it turned out to be something as simple as a ripped or missing O ring on the internal filter. This would cause an intermittent flow condition from a sump (the filter in this case drinking fluid out of the pan).

I have a '92 w/ an A4LD. I have been having the same issues now for about 3 months. I have replaced the filter twice and the fluid at least half a dozen times. I have replaced the transfer case fluid as well. I am putting in a drain plug into the pan on Thursday to make the fluid changes a little easier & faster. Once I do this, the slipping seems to go away for about 2-3 weeks, and then I have to replace the fluid again.

I had a vacuum leak that I recently fixed that I was told caused my fluid to burn up and my have caused more damage.

I am doing all this until I get the time & money to overhaul the tranny.

Back